- Title: PERU: ARMED FORCES ACQUIRE NEW SQUADRON OF MIG 29 FIGHTER PLANES
- Date: 29th July 1997
- Summary: LIMA, PERU. (JULY 29, 1997) (RTV) 1. HAS CEREMONY PAN LEFT TO HANGAR 0.07 2. SLV PRESIDENT ALBERTO FUJIMORI IN PRESIDENTIAL BOX GREETING OTHER OFFICIALS. 0.14 3. SLV MAN GUIDES TRUCK PULLING PLANE OUT OF HANGAR (2 SHOTS) 0.35 4. MV FUJIMORI TALKING TO DAUGHTER AND ACTING FIRST LADY , KEIKO FUJIMORI HIGUCHI 0.38 5. SCU ZOOM OUT MISSILES ON PLANE (2 SHOTS) 0.57 6. SCU TAIL OF MIG 29 JET AIRCRAFT 0.58 7. MV MILITARY OFFICIALS SEATED 1.03 8. MV/SLV FUJIMORI WITH KEIKO IN FRONT OF PLANE (2 SHOTS) 1.34 9. SCU FUJIMORI SAYING PERU, LOVER OF PEACE AND WORKING TO FURTHER NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT, CANNOT ABANDON THE FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF ITS DEFENCE (SPANISH) 1.47 10. SLV MILITARY OFFICIALS APPLAUDING 1.49 11. SCU FUJIMORI SPEAKING TO MEDIA ,SAYING WE ARE THE FIRST COUNTRY IN LATIN AMERICA TO HAVE THE MIG 29.WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT OPERATIVE CAPACITY (SPANISH) 2.06 12. SLV CEREMONY INAUGURATING THE PLANE WITH AIR FORCE PILOTS. 2.21 Initials S3/2 P3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA2Z0QBOYNBJW6YBKAIG1LHNX25
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- Country: LATIN AMERICA Peru
- Duration: 00:02:22
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: - INTRO: Peru's armed forces have acquired new squadron of Mig 29 fighter planes heightening fears of arms race in the region.
President Alberto Fujimori displayed for the first time on Tuesday (July 29) part of Peru's latest squadron of sophisticated MiG-29 fighter jets, saying their purchase ensured the country could defend itself from attack.
Acquiring the warplanes "leaves no doubt whatsoever over the security and defence of our country," Fujimori said at a formal ceremony to show off three of the jets and their missiles.
Peru's purchase of at least 12 MiGs late last year, has raised fears of a regional arms race and heightened tensions on its border with Ecuador, where the two Andean neighbours fought a brief war in 1995.
But Fujimori said the improved weaponry was defensive and necessary to bring the capabilities of the armed forces into line with the resources of Peru's neighbours, which also include Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Colombia.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:13th August 1997 13:00