MONGOLIA: FIRE FIGHTERS STRUGGLE TO CONTROL HUGE FOREST BLAZES IN MONGOLIAN STEPPES WHICH HAS RAGED FOR SEVERAL...
- Title: MONGOLIA: FIRE FIGHTERS STRUGGLE TO CONTROL HUGE FOREST BLAZES IN MONGOLIAN STEPPES WHICH HAS RAGED FOR SEVERAL DAYS
- Date: 15th April 1996
- Summary: MOENGON MORIT, MONGOLIA (APRIL 15, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV HELICOPTER AT AIRPORT 0.03 2. SV FIRE FIGHTERS GETTING ON HELICOPTER 0.07 3. SV/SCU FIRE FIGHTERS LOOKING AT MAP 0.13 4. SV FIREFIGHTERS LOOKING OUT OF HELICOPTER WINDOW 0.16 5. AERIALS OF BURNING FORESTS / BURNED PLAINS (3 SHOTS) 0.38 6. AERIAL OF CHILDREN ON THE GROUND 0.43 7. SV FIRE FIGHTERS GETTING OUT OF HELICOPTER (2 SHOTS) 0.51 8. SLV FIRE FIGHTERS CARRYING BAGS WALKING THROUGH FIELD 0.54 9. SV TRACKING SHOT OF LINE OF FIRE AND SMOKE 0.57 10. SLV CATTLE WITH SMOKE IN THE BACKGROUND 1.01 11. SV CHILDREN GATHERING AROUND HELICOPTER 1.05 12. SV CHILDREN SURROUNDING OFFICIALS 1.07 13. SV CHILDREN GETTING ON HELICOPTER 1.10 14. SV LOCALS RIDING HORSE 1.12 15. GV SMOKE 1.15 16. SV LOCALS WITH BROOMS TO FIGHT THE FIRE 1.19 17. SV OFFICIAL TALKING TO LOCALS 1.22 18. GV SKY FILLED WITH SMOKE 1.26 19. GV SUN THROUGH SMOKE 1.29 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA57NZ6UD0QV7275XCVUW6XJE05
- Location: MOENGON MORIT, DORNOD PROVINCE, MONGOLIA
- Country: Mongolia
- Duration: 00:01:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: INTRO: Fire fighters in Mongolia are struggling to control huge forest blazes which have engulfed thousands of kilometres (miles) of steppe lands, killing at least one person.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- Mongolian fire fighters and nomads are struggling to control huge blazes that have consumed thousands of square kilometres (miles) of tinder-dry steppeland and forest.
One huge fire in northeastern Dornod province finally died out on Wednesday (April 17) after killing one person and destroying at least 5,000 square km (1,930 square miles) of grassland.
But a blaze in neighbouring Hentii province that started early on Thursday (April 18) morning was roaring south along a 35 km (22 mile) front and had already burned more than 1,000 square km (375 square miles) of pastureland and forest.
About 10 large fires are thought to be burning in the province's parched grasslands and woods which have been dried out by an almost snowless winter.
Around 1,700 fire fighters are trying to control the infernoes, which were being driven by winds of up to 20 metres (66 feet) per second.
Townspeople living near the fires are being press-ganged into the fire service by desperate officials.
At least one woman was killed at the weekend by the Dornod blaze, which officials say crossed into Mongolia from Russia last week.
In Dornod's Dashbalbar county officials said 88 percent of the land was burnt-out.
At least 27 people in the county have lost their homes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th April 1996 13:00