- Title: INDIA: US FIREFIGHTING TEAM ARRIVES TO HELP PUT OUT GAS WELL FIRE
- Date: 12th January 1995
- Summary: NEAR BODASAKURRU AND KAKINADA, ANDHRA PRADESH; INDIA (JANUARY 12, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) NEAR BODASAKURRU 1. GV FLAMES LEAPING THE OIL AND NATURAL GAS CORPORATION (ONGC) WELL BEHIND TREES 0.06 2. SV/VARIOUS OF RAGING FIRE (3 SHOTS) 0.15 3. GV FIRE RAGING AMONG TREES 0.22 4. GV FIREMEN AND ONGC OFFICIALS NEAR THE WELL SITE. 0.30 5. SLV AREA NEAR THE WELL FIRE BEING CLEARED OF DEBRIS FOR START OF OPERATIONS TO DOUSE THE FIRE. (4 SHOTS) 0.53 6. SV VILLAGERS WATCHING THE SCENE 1.02 KAKINADA AREA 7. SV/GV OF VILLAGE, STREET-SCENES (2 SHOTS) 1.12 8. SV INTERIOR CHILDREN SITTING 1.17 9. SV CHILDREN QUEUEING FOR FOOD (3 SJOTS) 1.34 10. CU GROUP CROWDING AROUND AN URN FOR MILK 1.39 11. SV/LV EXT. LARGE QUEUE WAITING FOR FOOD AND MILK (2 SHOTS) 1.48 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA4TY66XBQXPPMCF4YSN3PG7355
- Location: NEAR BODASAKURRU AND KAKINADA, ANDHRA PRADESH; INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:01:48
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: A two-member United States (U.S.) firefighting team arrived in India on Thursday (January 12) to help an oil company put out a gas well fire which had been raging for five days.
Intense heat had hampered efforts to douse the flames in the well, which is situated in the south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) said.
Temperatures reached 500 degrees Celsius (930 degrees Fahrenheit) after the fire erupted on Sunday evening as gas spewed from a depth of 2,777 metres (9,110 feet) during a drilling operation at the well next to Bodasakurru in the coastal East Godavari district.
ONGC officials said nearly one million cubic metres (35.3 million cubic feet) of natural gas was escaping from of the well.
The two U.S. experts come from the Houston-based Neil Adams Fire Fighters Inc, which was chosen from among five organisations with well-fire fighting skills.
There no reports of injuries.
Local authorities evacuated nearly 25,000 people from villages surrounding the well.
But some people from nearby villages came to to catch a glimpse of the blaze.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th January 1995 12:00