YUGOSLAVIA: MORE FIGHTING IN KOSOVO AS SERB SECURITY FORCES BATTLE KLA SEPERATISTS
- Title: YUGOSLAVIA: MORE FIGHTING IN KOSOVO AS SERB SECURITY FORCES BATTLE KLA SEPERATISTS
- Date: 19th October 1998
- Summary: KOMORANE, KOSOVO, SERBIA, YUGOSLAVIA (OCTOBER 18-19, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. NIGHT SCOPE SERB SOLDIERS DEPLOYED; AUDIO SPORADIC GUNFIRE IN DISTANCE (9 SHOTS) 1.07 PRISTINA, KOSOVO, SERBIA, YUGOSLAVIA (OCTOBER 19, 1998) (RTV -ACCESS ALL) 2. SV/SLV OSCE MONITORS PREPARING TO LEAVE CITY (3 SHOTS) 1.30 3. SV/SLV VEHICLES DRIVING OFF (3 SHOTS) 1.50 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAA8GSZPLJPCCL5MDCWP3ZMK2G7
- Location: KOMORANE AND PRISTINA, KOSOVO, SERBIA, YUGOSLAVIA
- Country: Yugoslavia
- Duration: 00:01:52
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: There has been more fighting overnight at a key
checkpoint in Kosovo, as Serb security forces battled KLA
And an advance team of OSCE monitors has left Pristina for
their first mission in the countryside of Kosovo, where a
fragile ceasefire between Serb security forces and KLA
separatist guerrillas already appears to be failing.
Komorane is a crossroads settlement about 20 kms (12
miles) west of Pristina, Kosovo's capital, on the main highway
The intersection has been the site of a major government
checkpoint since March, when fighting between security forces
and ethnic Albanian separatists of the KLA first flared.
The checkpoint controls access not just to western Kosovo,
but to the Komorane valley that stretches south and to
Drenica, a region of rolling hills to the north.Both areas
are known as separatist strongholds.
Yugoslavia is under strong Western pressure to pull its
troops and police out of Kosovo, to facilitate an end to the
eight-month conflict, or face NATO air strikes.
An advance team of OSCE monitors left Pristina on Monday
(October 19) for their first mission in the countryside of
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd November 1998 12:00