- Title: SPAIN: WORLD'S ONLY AFRICAN BULLFIGHTER AT WORK IN THE RING AT TORREMOLINOS
- Date: 12th October 1971
- Summary: 1. GV PAN.. Torremolinos beach 0.08 2. MV Torremolinos sign by road 0.10 3. GV Crowd outside bull ring 0.14 4. CU Ricardo Chibanga's posters outside bull ring, people looking 0.24 5. CU INTERIOR.. Chibanga praying in his dressing room (2 shots) 0.35 6. LV Bullfighters enter ring 0.45 7. SV Spectators 0.48 8. LV Chibanga playing the bull 0.54 9. Chibanga places banderillas (2 shots) 1.04 10. GV Spectators 1.05 11. LV Chibana playing the bull TILT up to spectators 1.18 12. LV Chibanga lunges with sword 1.23 13. GV crowd 1.25 14. LV Chibanga tries again to kill bull with sword 1.26 15. SV Crowd 1.28 16. GV Bull collapses to ground 1.36 17. SV Crowd applaud 1.38 18. MV & CU Chibanga walks triumphantly away from bull to ring side (3 shots) 1.54 Initials ES. 1012 ES. 1043 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA5M9N4P5UYUV3EYMUG18ESFTXA
- Location: TORREMOLINOS, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:54
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The man described as 'the world's only African bullfighter was at work in the bull ring at Torremolinos on Sunday (10 October). Before an array of spectators, 22-year-old Mozambique-born Ricardo Chibanga took on a series of bulls in the Plaza de toro??? in the southern Spanish town. Trained in Portugal, Chibanga has fought in Portugal, Southern France and Spain.
SYNOPSIS: Torremolinos, in southern Spain, is one of the country's biggest tourist resorts Visitors come from all over Europe to take advantage of the region's sun and sand -- but last Sunday the focus of attention was on the city's bull ring.
Many people went to the Plaza de Toros to watch the man who's beer described as the world's only African bullfighter. Ricardo Chibanga, born in Mozambique, has been at work learning about his chosen profession since he left for Portugal ten years ago. Before the day's fighting, Chibanga spent a few moments in prayer.
The day's action began with bullfighting's distinctive pageantry.
Twenty-two year old Chibanga has been helped in his training period by Portuguese fighter Manuel Dos Santos. Chibanga first fought in Spain two years ago and he now fights regularly there and in Portugal and Southern France as well.
Chibanga graduated into bullfighting -- or took his "alternative", as it's called -- with bullfighter Antonio Bienvenida in the ring at Seville last August. He has fought 27 ???, or little Bulls, and 23 fully-grown toros in his career so far. Following his current fight in Torremolinos, Chibanga plans to fight in the Seville Spring Fair and the Madrid San Isidro fights next year.
Chibanga will not be making any money for his efforts in the ring this year. It's next year that he expects to become well-known and start being paid for his fights. Sunday's victories may help him towards that goal.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th October 1971 13:00