- Title: WEST GERMANY: BMW UNVEILS NEW "FIRE FIGHTING" MOTORCYCLE.
- Date: 31st December 1976
- Summary: 1. MV Fire engine drives past camera 0.13 2. MV Fire engine unable to pass through narrow alley 0.18 3. MV Bike goes past fire engine and stops (2 shots) 0.29 4. CU Fire hose unwound from rear of bike 0.34 5. MV Motorcycle firemen extinguishes fire 0.48 6. CU Motorcycle and form d??? tanks on side 0.53 7. MV Firemen extinguishing fire in car 1.05 Initials BB/1716 GB/DK/BB/1735 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA7Z8K5YBW5T92FMU8SSK3VT017
- Location: MUNICH, WEST GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:01:06
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The West German firm of BMW unveiled a new concept in motorcycles on Friday (30 January) in Munich.
The bike, a BMW 76/6, is fully equipped as a two-wheel fire engine.
BMW say the idea behind their new model is to provide fire departments with a compact unit to fight fires in "hard to get at" places.
The bike can squeeze through traffic jams and reach the scene of a blaze in about half the time normally taken by a fire truck.
It is equipped with an extension hose, which folds into a rear compartment, and foam tanks.
A fireman can use the motorcycle to get behind fires by driving down narrow alleys and passageways ... and take his unit to within feet of the flames.
West German Fire Department officials are currently studying the feasibility of putting the bikes into full time service.
SYNOPSIS: The effectiveness of the fire engine is well known throughout the world. Constant mechanical and technical improvements have made today's fire trucks the complete fire fighting unit. However, because of their size fire engines often can't get close enough to small fires. This has led to the development of the fire fighting motorcycle. Its smaller size and quick acceleration makes the fire-cycle extremely effective in fighting smaller "hard to get at" blazes.
The bike was unveiled by BMW in Munich on Friday. It comes with a special rear compartment which contains an extension hose. BMW have called the new model the R 75/6 and hope to sell to fire departments in many countries.
The motorcycle is also equipped with special foam tanks attached to the sides.
West German fire department officials are currently conducting a feasibility study on putting the bikes into full time service.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th January 1977 12:00