UK: FRANK BRUNO ANNOUNCES AT PRESS CONFERENCE THAT HE WILL FIGHT MIKE TYSON FOR WBC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE NEXT YEAR
- Title: UK: FRANK BRUNO ANNOUNCES AT PRESS CONFERENCE THAT HE WILL FIGHT MIKE TYSON FOR WBC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE NEXT YEAR
- Date: 13th November 1995
- Summary: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (NOVEMBER 13, 1995) 1. GENERAL VIEW OF THE NEWS CONFERENCE - FRANK BRUNO (ON RIGHT), PROMOTER FRANK WARREN (CENTRE) AND BRUNO'S TRAINER GEORGE FRANCIS 2. CLOSE UP OF BRUNO 3. WARREN SAYING THE FIGHT AGAINST TYSON WILL GO AHEAD ON MARCH 16 (ENGLISH) 4. BRUNO SPEAKING AS NOTED ABOVE (ENGLISH) 5. BRUNO POSING WITH CUTOUT OF TYSON Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVADY55YKE2I1WOMO4UCPQNHPL3Y
- Location: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:53
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Frank Bruno will defend his WBC heavyweight title against Mike Tyson in Las Vegas on March 16 next year, his manager Frank Warren announced in London on Monday (November 13).
Seated next to Bruno at a news conference, Warren said he was sure that his boxer would win.
Bruno, who will begin his training on Tuesday, said: "This is very encouraging because I think I am at my peak. I'm a stone and a half heavier than I was for my first fight against Tyson, I'm very strong, very confident.
"It was music to my ears when I heard I was fighting Tyson. I'm not just fighting any Tom, Dick or Harry, I'm fighting the creme de la creme, the No 1." In February, 1989 Tyson, as undisputed title holder, stopped Bruno in five rounds in Las Vegas.
Tyson is now recovering from a cracked thumb which ruled out his fight with Buster Mathis jnr on November 4, although he should be ready to face Mathis in early January for his second fight since being released from prison.
Tyson's comeback contest against Peter McNeeley in August lasted a farcial 89 seconds.
Bruno had to fend off legal attempts by Lennox Lewis and his handlers to secure a fight with Tyson, which was agreed last week by the World Boxing Council at their annual convention in Thailand.
The Bruno-Tyson fight was signed in July, three months before Bruno defeated Oliver McCall at Wembley Stadium to clinch the title at the fourth attempt.
Former WBC champion Lewis contended strongly that he should be fighting Bruno ahead of Tyson on the strength of his win over Lionel Butler in Sacramento in May.
But with Tyson back at No 1, the WBC ordered that he should take prior claim over Lewis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th November 1995 12:00