- Title: JORDAN: FIGHTING BREAKS OUT BETWEEN RIVALS IN PLO FATAH GROUP IN WEST BANK
- Date: 3rd January 1995
- Summary: NABLUS, (JANUARY 3, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION - AVAILABLE ALL) 1. SV RALLY IN PROGRESS, PALESTINIAN FLAGS, PEOPLE SINGING 0.05 2. SV BOY WITH FAKE GUN OVERLOOKING RALLY 0.09 3. SV PALESTINIAN FLAGS, CROWD ARRIVING 0.12 4. SV MAN ADDRESSING RALLY , ARAFAT AIDE TAYIB ABDEL-RAHIM 0.16 5. SV RED-COATED PALESTINE LIBERATION ORGANISATION OFFICERS STRUGGLING IN CROWD AS THEY TRY TO GUARD PLO VISITING SPEAKER MARWAN AL-BARGHOUTI 0.32 6. SV PLO VISITING SPEAKER MARWAN AL-BARGHOUTI BEING HUSTLED AWAY BY SECURITY. 0.38 7. SV PLO VISITING SPEAKER MARWAN AL-BARGHOUTI ATTEMPTING TO ADDRESS CROWD 0.44 8. SV PLO SECURITY OFFICIAL WAVING GUN IN CROWD, PLO OFFICIALS WITH GUNS DRAWN OVERLOOKING CROWD 0.58 9. SV FIGHTING AMONGST CROWD, SEATS BEING THROWN 1.11 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVACJGHKW751HRDM7VRPVAPT5MQO
- Location: NABLUS, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Duration: 00:01:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: A further strain in the Israeli-PLO peace deal showed on Tuesday (January 3) when fighting erupted between rival factions within PLO leader Yasser Arafat's Fatah group at a rally in the West Bank city of Nablus.
Thousands of rival Arafat supporters supposed to be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the founding of the movement threw punches and chairs and wrestled over guns.
Fatah supporters from Nablus refused to allow visiting leader Marwan al-Barhgouti to speak and the rally broke up in chaos.
Arafat's group, traditionally the backbone of the PLO, has shown signs of strain recently as local factions struggle for power. Many Fatah supporters say they are unhappy with the way the peace deal with Israel is developing.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:18th January 1995 12:00