- Title: RUSSIA: CHECHEN FIGHTERS RETURN HOME
- Date: 4th August 1995
- Summary: SERNOVODSK, INGUSHETIA, RUSSIA (AUGUST 4, 1995) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV CROWD WAITING TO GREET HOME-COMING FIGHTERS 0.04 2. SV FIGHTERS WITH GREEN HEADBANDS, MILITARY UNIFORMS, WEAPONRY, GREETING FRIENDS AND RELATIVES (3 SHOTS) 0.25 3. CU YOUNG WOMAN CRYING 0.28 4. SV OLDER WOMAN CRYING 0.35 5. SV FIGHTER WITH ROCKET-PROPELLED GRENADE LAUNCHER 0.44 6. SV FIGHTER HUGS FRIENDS 0.52 7. SV FIGHTER PICKS UP LITTLE GIRL 1.00 8. SV FIGHTER LETTING OFF BURSTS FROM KALASHNIKOV, CIVILIAN AND ANOTHER FIGHTER COMING TO TELL HIM OFF WHILE OTHERS START FIRING THEIR WEAPONS 1.24 9. SV CHECHEN WOMAN IN BATTLE FATIGUES SHOOTING KALASHNIKOV INTO AIR 1.41 10.SV FIGHTER ADDRESSES CROWD 1.47 11.SV CROWD SHOUTING ALLAH AKHBAR 1.55 12.SV GREEN CHECHEN FLAG 2.00 13.SCU ALKHAZUR, 40 YEARS OLD, WAS IN BAMUT FOR FOUR MONTHS SAYING WE ARE BACK HERE TO PUNISH THOSE WHO BETRAYED US AND SHOOT THEM FOR THEIR TREASON (RUSSIAN) 2.17 14.SV ASLAMBEK, 29 YEARS OLD, SAYING I DON'T WANT THESE LITTLE KIDS TO SPEAK RUSSIAN. LET THEM SPEAK ANY LANGUAGE BUT NOT RUSSIAN, THE WAR HAS NOT FINISHED. IT WILL BE OVER ONLY WHEN THE LAST RUSSIANS LEAVE MY MOTHER LAND (RUSSIAN) 2.27 15.SV MAN IN WHEELCHAIR CHEERING 2.31 16.SV ASLAMBEK SPEAKING (RUSSIAN) 2.51 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVABNLJ0UTVY134N9WE05PN39KK2
- Location: SERNOVODSK, INGUSHETIA, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:02:54
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Chechen fighters left their military posts of the last seven months and returned home to their surviving friends and families on Friday (August 4) as part of the newly signed military accord between Russia and Chechnya.
In the village of Sernovodsk on the border of Ingushetia and Chechnya, dozens of fighters were greeted by a huge crowd of locals.
The fighters, dressed in military fatigues and green Islamic headbands and brandishing Kalashnikov rifles and rocket grenade launchers, were greeted by tearful relatives and friends.
But the men are determined to gain independence from Russia and say they are prepared to keep fighting until the last Russian troop has left their mountainous homeland.
Alkhazur is a 40-year-old Chechen who has been fighting in the village of Bamut since April. He vowed to punish those amongst his community who betrayed their cause and shoot them for their treason.
Another fighter, who looked gaunt in his green Islamic headband after fighting for months, was less bitter about his compatriots but had nothing friendly to say about Russians.
"I don't want these kids to speak Russian," said 29-year-old Aslambek. "Let them speak any other language but not Russian. This war is not finished. It will be over only when the last Russians leave my motherland."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th August 1995 13:00