- Title: CYPRUS: NICOSIA FACES A PETROL SHORTAGE AS FIGHTING CONTINUES.
- Date: 19th August 1974
- Summary: 1. LV Garage out of petrol 0.05 2. CU Petrol pump 0.08 3. LV Another garage out of petrol (2 shots) 0.13 4. GV Cars queued at open garage 0.17 5. CU & SV Petrol pumps and attendant filling tank (3 shots) 0.27 6. LV Queue of cars 0.32 7. SV Policeman directs traffic 0.35 8. LV PAN Cars queuing at open garage 0.45 9. LV People waiting beside cars in queue 0.53 Initials BB/1810 BL/MR/BB/1817 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAB3B8AZI0RXYEI5VBWOI5O6XLF
- Location: NICOSIA, CYPRUS
- Country: Cyprus
- Duration: 00:00:54
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Petrol has begun to dry up in the Cypriot capital, Nicosia.
On Sunday (18 August) most petrol stations in the capital were closed -- many of them because they had run out, and the rest in an effort to conserve stocks.
The few stations that were open were rationing their supplies, selling one or two gallons to each customer.
Queues stretched half a mile (about .75 kms) long as motorists waited hours to fill up.
The petrol shortage appeared to be worse than during the Arab oil embargo crisis, but it was not expected to go on for very long.
Some proprietors said they had closed down until the crisis was over. They said the situation would improve greatly when Nicosia got back to normal. They said some supplies had not reached Nicosia by road because of the Turkish advances across the island and Turkish attacks on coastal towns. However, they expected normal supplies once the fighting was over.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd September 1974 13:00