USA: BOXERS EVANDER HOLYFIELD AND LENNOX LEWIS AGREE TO FIGHT FOR A UNIFIED HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING BELT
- Title: USA: BOXERS EVANDER HOLYFIELD AND LENNOX LEWIS AGREE TO FIGHT FOR A UNIFIED HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING BELT
- Date: 1st December 1998
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, USA (NOVEMBER 30, 1998) (RTV - NO ACCESS EUROSPORT) 1. BOXERS EVANDER HOLYFIELD AND LENNOX LEWIS ARE PRESENTED TO REPORTERS AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WITH FIREWORKS DISPLAY. 2. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) LENNOX LEWIS SAYING, "It's going to be a hard day. I don't expect the fight to be easy because I'm fighting a man which some people may say shows true grit, and that's how you, uh, that's what you can say about Evander Holyfield. A man with true grit. For myself, I''m a man with a lot of patience, a lot of determination, and I think it's going to be a great fight." 3. WIDE VIEW STAGE. AUDIO IS APPLAUSE AND PROMOTER DON KING'S VOICE SAYING "Yes, Yes." 4. (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) EVANDER HOLYFIELD SAYING, "I just want to press the issue about this thing about pressure made me come to the point to fight this. There ain't enough pressure. I mean to say that a lot of time whan you wait and you cry for what you want, you eventually get it. The point is what do you do when your opportunity comes. March 13th, Lennox Lewis will get his opportunity to cash in on something that he wants and I will be there, and I'm here to tell you that I will be the undisputed champion. Matter of fact, I'm the undisputed champion now, the date just ain't came yet, and on the 13th I'll be wearing my belt." 5. REPORTERS 6. CLOSE VIEW HOLYFIELD PAN TO LENNOX 7. FIGHTERS WITH THEIR BELTS 8. FIGHTERS WITH BOXING PROMOTER DON KING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA550VDF34SNRNFVN1T0MHOIYQ7
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:03:03
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis have agreed to
fight for a unified heavyweight boxing belt in March 1999.
The title fight will take place at New York's Madison
Square Garden, promoted by Don King on March 13.
The two fighters were at the Garden on Monday
(November 30) to promote the fight.The flamboyant promoter
Don King was there too to cheer his money-match.
The heavyweight championship has been splintered since
1992.Evander Holyfield holds 'two-thirds' of the title, and
Lennox Lewis holds the other portion.Now they will fight for
Neither fighter went in for vilifying his opponent, in
fact the younger man, Lewis, seemed almost reverential as he
talked about Holyfield having 'true grit.'
But Holyfield was in no doubt he would win and said he
considered himself unified champion already, it was just that
the date hadn't come round yet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th December 1998 12:00