- Title: RUSSIA: RUSSIAN TROOPS STORM HOSPITAL SEIZED BY CHECHEN FIGHTERS
- Date: 17th June 1995
- Summary: BUDENNOVSK, RUSSIA (JUNE 17, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV EXTERIOR ZELENOKUMSK HOSPITAL, RELATIVES AND RELEASED HOSTAGES WALKING AROUND NEAR ENTRANCE 0.06 2. SV INTERIORS, VARIOUS INJURED BEING TREATED 0.17 3. SV INJURED RECEIVING TREATMENT 0.27 4. SV VARIOUS RELEASED HOSTAGES SITTING INSIDE HOSPITAL 0.36 5. SV INJURED WOMAN LYING ON STRETCHER 0.44 6. SV WOMAN SITTING WITH CHILD ON HER LAP 0.50 7. SV PEOPLE LOOKING AT LISTS OF DEAD AND WOUNDED POSTED ON WALL 0.56 8. SV MAN NOTING DOWN NAMES 1.06 9. SV WEEPING RELATIVES BEING COMFORTED 1.18 10. SV PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND WAITING FOR NEWS 1.39 11. SV EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL 1.48 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA1PA25JF3HXRZFJ3OUH5GHT9NY
- Location: BUDENNOVSK, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:01:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Russian troops stormed a Chechen-held hospital in the southern town of Budennovsk on Saturday (June 17), unleashing rounds of shells and bullets on the building where rebels are holding more than 1,000 hostages.
Russian news agencies said there had been casualties on both sides in the dawn assault, but gave no details. Officials had put the death toll at around 117 before Saturday's attack, including civilians, Russian soldiers and Chechen rebels.
There was a lull in the fighting on Saturday morning to allow women and children to leave the blazing building, but fighting resumed in the afternoon.
Relatives of those released were outside the hospital to meet their loved ones, amid tearful and emotional scenes.
So far about 157 of 1,000 people held in the hospital have been set free. The releases came after the earlier assault.
A government press officer said the troops attacked without orders and "reacted emotionally to the cries of hostages and the sound of shooting inside the building".
The hospital was seized by Chechen fighters on Wednesday after a commando-style raid on the town of 100,000 people.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd July 1995 13:00