KHMER REPUBLIC: GOVERNMENT INTRODUCES CONSCRIPTION AS FIGHTING INTENSIFIES AROUND PHNOM PENH
- Title: KHMER REPUBLIC: GOVERNMENT INTRODUCES CONSCRIPTION AS FIGHTING INTENSIFIES AROUND PHNOM PENH
- Date: 31st July 1973
- Summary: 1. Kambol military camp (2 shots) 6 ft 2. Families look at conscripts through wire 11 ft 3. Passing food etc over wire to conscripts (4 shots) 24 ft 4. Talking to conscripts through wire 27 ft 5. Women weep (2 shots) 31 ft 6. Conscripts collect foodstuffs passed over wire 35 ft 7. Guards at camp 38 ft Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA11N7NZ3JWSB52V2MQDNQZRO0V
- Location: KAMBOL MILITARY CAMP
- Country: Cambodia
- Duration: 00:01:01
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: With the recent increase in fighting around Phnom Penh, conscription has been introduced in the Khmer Republic. At the Kambol Military Camp, 10 Kilometres southwest of Phnom Penh, thousands of men have been rounded up to serve in the army. The Khmer army had previously relied exclusively on volunteers.
The military police set up check-points in Phnom Penh last week to round up men between the ages of 18 and 35. Houses and factories were also reportedly searched by government troops for able-bodied men. Many of those eligible for the armed forces are in hiding, and the latest report from Phnom Penh indicated that the streets of the capital are devoid of potential draftees.
There have been emotional scenes at the Kambol Military Camp. Most of the women there learnt for the first time that their husband, sons or fathers were drafted. And food, money and clothing were hurriedly passed over by their relatives.
With the situation around Phnom Penh rapidly deteriorating, more men are needed to bolster the country's armed forces. The fighting continues to move closer to the capital. And despite the support form US B-52 bombers, government forces are still unable to make significant progress in pushing the Communists back.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th August 1973 13:00