- Title: IRAQ: BRITISH FORCES CLASH WITH MEHDI ARMY FIGHTERS IN BASRA.
- Date: 18th September 2004
- Summary: (NIGHT TIME VIEWS) (W3) BASRA, IRAQ (SEPTEMBER 17, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. LV/GV: NIGHT VIEWS, AUDIO OF GUNFIRE; TRACER AND MORTAR FIRE FROM BRITISH TANKS (5 SHOTS) 0.43 2. LV: BUILDING BURNING, TRACER FIRE (2 SHOTS) 1.28 3. GV: BRITISH SOLDIERS ON STREET, CLOSER OF FIRES 92 SHOTS0 1.47 4. GV/GV/PAN: BRITISH SOLDIERS RAIDING SADR OFFICE, VARIOUS OF WEAPONS IN SADR OFFICE (11 SHOTS0 3.28 5. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH) BRITISH ARMY CAPTAIN STEWART SAYING: "A large quantity of AK-7s and also a hugh bomb making factory. Alot of these actual ammunitions are the sort of weapons that would cause indiscriminate fire to the local population." 3.40 (W3) BASRA, IRAQ (SEPTEMBER 18, 2004) (REUTERS) 6. GV: DAY VIEWS OF BRITISH TANKS ON STRETS (2 SHOTS) 4.05 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA6VN0DIBY2JBL5U8QU34ZVZZL2
- Location: BASRA,IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:04:06
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Heavy clashes between Mehdi army fighters and
British troops in Basra.
Heavy clashes broke out in the southern city of
Basra on Friday (September 17) night.
The clashes broke out after British troops raided an
office used by supporters of rebel cleric Moqtada al Sadr,
whose militiamen launched two bloody uprisings this year in
the holy city of Najaf.
A British soldier said around 100 troops had entered
the office after they came under fire from small arms fire
coming from the building. One soldier was wounded. A large
quantity of weapons, including AK 47s and other explosives
were seized by British troops.
The raid followed an ambush on a British patrol in
Basra on Friday in which one soldier was wounded.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd October 2004 13:00