- Title: IRAQ: MEHDI ARM FIGHTERS CLASH WITH U.S TROOPS IN NAJAF
- Date: 30th May 2004
- Summary: (W5) NAJAF, IRAQ (MAY 30, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. WIDE OF SMOKE RISING FROM THE CEMETERY AFTER AN EXPLOSION 0.10 2. LV U.S. TANK MOVING ALOING ROAD 0.21 3. VARIOUS OF MEHDI ARMY MEMBERS CARRYING WEAPONS INSIDE THE CEMETRY 0.42 4. LV U.S. TANK 0.54 5. SLV ONE OF MEHDI ARMY FIGHTERS IN THE STREET 1.07 6. VARIOUS OF AFTERMATH INSIDE THE CEMETRY/ DEBRIS 1.51 7. VARIOUS OF TWO MEHDI ARMY FIGHTERS 2.07 8. WIDE OF DAMAGE TO ROAD 2.10 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA2YBMM4EUS0MV8YG6128R2CFKE
- Location: NAJAF, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:02:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Mehdi army fighters clash with U.S. soldiers in the
Iraqi holy city of Najaf.
Iraqi fighters clashed with U.S. forces in the holy
city of Najaf for the second time on Sunday (May 30).
An explosion was heard from the cemetery was followed
It was the latest clashes in a series of skirmishes to
break out in the area despite last week's truce offer by a
radical Shi'ite cleric.
Clashes between fighters loyal to Shi'ite cleric
Moqtada al-Sadr and U.S. forces have broken out repeatedly
in the Najaf area since the firebrand preacher offered a
truce on Thursday, pressured by Shi'ite elders aiming to
end fighting in the holy city.
The U.S. military has said it is too early to tell
whether the clashes represent a complete breakdown of the
truce, which they have agreed to respect in an effort to
end weeks of fighting that has killed hundreds of Iraqis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th June 2004 13:00