INDIA/FILE: First photos show relaxed Russell Brand in wild animal park before alleged attack on photographers...
- Title: INDIA/FILE: First photos show relaxed Russell Brand in wild animal park before alleged attack on photographers by bodyguards ahead of wedding
- Date: 25th October 2010
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RUSSELL BRAND AT PREMIERE KATY PERRY POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
- Reuters ID: LVA92YCMV5HHCAJFCMVRSRNOC6DB
- Duration: 00:01:12
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment / Showbiz
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Just hours before his much talked-about wedding with pop star Kate Perry on Saturday (October 23), British actor Russell Brand landed in trouble with photographers after his security men assaulted them in the Indian tiger reserve of Ranthambore where the celebrity duo is expected to tie the knot in over the weekend.
The photographers from the international news wire agencies of Reuters, Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and Hindustan Times newspaper accused Brand's security men of physically assaulting them as they shot pictures of the actor touring a tiger reserve ahead of his wedding.
They said Brand watched as his body guards first beat up the photographers' jeep driver, then physically assaulted them and also took away their jeep's keys, stranding them in the middle of the wild reserve.
They reported the incident at the local police station and demanded a written apology from Brand's bodyguard.
It is not the first time that the couple has been involved in such an incident. They made headlines last month when Brand was arrested following a scuffle with a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport.
Local police summoned the security team as well as Brand's body guard to the police station to resolve the issue.
Narayan Dam, the police officer in-charge of the station, said a compromise had been reached between the two sides.
"There were some arguments between the two sides as they (the photographers) were trying to take some photographs and there was some struggle over the photographs and then some minor scuffles broke out.
They (the photographers) wanted a written apology from the security staff and they have given a written apology."
Perry, who rose to stardom in 2008 with the No. 1 single, "I Kissed A Girl, arrived in India on Wednesday, amid reports of their imminent wedding.
The couple is reported to be getting married over the weekend in a Hindu ceremony at the luxury Aman-I-Khas resort in the Ranthambore Tiger reserve.
It is widely believed that Brand proposed to Perry while the two were on holiday in India earlier this year and that is when the duo decided to return to get married in a colourful Indian ceremony.
Perry has wooed critics with her second major-label album release, packed with flirty, giggly pop songs, strong dance beats and plenty of "gurl-talk."
The 25-year-old singer, who was once tagged as a one-hit wonder for I Kissed a Girl -- released 12 new songs on Teenage Dream, including the summer hit single California Gurls.
The California-born former singer-songwriter started out by recording a failed gospel album in Nashville, Tennessee.
Since his early notoriety in London, the loudmouth British comedian and actor Brand has since gone on to Hollywood fame, with "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," its follow-up, "Get Him to The Greek," as well as the upcoming "The Tempest," and a re-make of the Dudley Moore vehicle, "Arthur."
Since their engagement Perry has matched Brand in promoting a similar over-the-top persona and raunchy, fun image.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th November 2010 12:00