- Title: TURKEY: More plane crash survivors return to Istanbul
- Date: 27th February 2009
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (FEBRUARY 26, 2009) (REUTERS) TURKISH AIRLINES PLANE ON TARMAC AFTER ARRIVING FROM AMSTERDAM VARIOUS OF PLANE ON TARMAC EXTERIOR OF TERMINAL BUILDING SURVIVORS OF CRASH AND RELATIVES EXITING TERMINAL RELATIVES WAITING IN FRONT OF TERMINAL COUPLE ENTERING CAR INJURED MAN ENTERING CAR CAR LEAVING
- Reuters ID: LVA9WWHXPMFVQYO8FPVGNN2HJGJ8
- Location: Turkey
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:01:41
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Story Text: Three more survivors arrive in Turkey after their Turkish airliner crashed in Amsterdam.
Three more Turkish survivors of a Turkish Airlines crash in Amsterdam returned to Istanbul on Thursday night (February 26).
Five Turks and four Americans were killed when a Turkish Airlines jet crashed into a field short of the runway at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport on Wednesday (February 25). Three of the nine people killed were Turkish crew.
Officials are trying to identify the rest of the passengers on the flight, especially those who were seriously injured.
Sixty-three people are still in hospital, including six in a critical condition.
There were 135 passengers and crew onboard flight TK 1951 from Istanbul when it crashed, carrying mainly Dutch and Turkish nationals, as well as Britons and Americans.
The cause of the crash is not yet known.
Investigators are examining the flight recorders from the Boeing 737-800, which were taken to Paris where French authorities were providing technical assistance.
A reconstruction of the accident will be made in combination with data from the recorders and information gathered at the scene, Dutch Safety Board spokeswoman Sandra Groenendal said.
Earlier, seven passengers including five Turkish citizens and two Iranians arrived on the first flight of returning survivors.
More survivors are expected to arrive in the coming days.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th March 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None