- Title: BELGIUM: Passengers in Belgium train crash recount their experience
- Date: 16th February 2010
- Summary: NEAR HALLE, BELGIUM (FEBRUARY 15, 2010) (REUTERS) VARIOUS VIEWS OF TRAIN CRASH EMERGENCY VEHICLES VARIOUS OF RESCUE WORKERS WHEELING OUT WOUNDED PASSENGER ON STRETCHER INTO AMBULANCE BELGIAN FLAG/ RESCUE WORKERS AND WOUNDED PASSENGERS WOUNDED PASSENGER SPEAKING ON PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (French) CARLUCCIO SAYING: "It's a shock that seemed to last an eternity. It's dreadful, there are no words. Actually, it's like you are living a nightmare, a nightmare." PEOPLE STANDING AROUND (SOUNDBITE) (French) JORDAN SAYING: "The train went off the tracks. We found ourselves (HE MAKES A GESTURE UPSIDE DOWN). Its tough, it's shocking. I thought I would die." VARIOUS OF WOUNDED PASSENGER BEING PUT INSIDE AMBULANCE
- Reuters ID: LVABR2VDGB6A40VUTVM4WZZWKAJ7
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Duration: 00:01:30
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes,Transport
- Story Text: Passengers in Belgium describe their experience when two trains collided head-on. Death toll estimates range from 10 to over 20 according to media reports.
Some 10 to over 20 people may have died when two trains collided outside of Brussels on Monday (February 15) morning, according to media reports.
The commuter passenger trains collided in snowy conditions near Halle, 15 km (9 miles) southwest of the Belgian capital at around 8:30 a.m. (0730 GMT).
Belgian public broadcaster VRT quoted the mayor of Halle as saying that at least 20 people had been killed. Local media said the provincial governor had referred to at least 10 deaths.
Local officials and the train operator SNCB were unable to confirm a figure.
One passenger said she heard a big noise, everything was everywhere and that she was lucky to be alive.
"I don't know, we heard a big noise, everything was, how do you say, impacted and, I was really lucky. I don't know what happened, heard a big noise everything, people, things, seats," said one passenger.
"It's a shock that seemed to last an eternity. It's dreadful, there are no words. Actually, it's like you are living a nightmare, a nightmare," said passenger Carluccio.
Train services, including the high-speed line between Brussels and Paris, have been suspended for the day. Eurostar said its services to Britain were also not running
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd March 2010 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None