ECUADOR: Families begin to hold funerals for the victims of a bus accident that killed at least 47.Record ID: 382713
- Title: ECUADOR: Families begin to hold funerals for the victims of a bus accident that killed at least 47.
- Date: 26th September 2006
- Summary: (LATIN) FAJARDO, ECUADOR (SEPTEMBER 25, 2005) (REUTERS) (day scenes) EXTERIOR OF CHURCH WHERE THE FUNERALS WERE HELD VARIOUS OF COFFINS INSIDE THE CHURCH WOMEN LOOKING AT THE COFFIN CHILD INSIDE THE COFFIN WOMAN CRYING WOMEN CRYING AND HUGGING VARIOUS OF COFFINS INSIDE THE CHURCH
- Reuters ID: LVA7HKIBHH02E0XXADUJIPKNIYC0
- Location: Ecuador
- Country: Ecuador
- Duration: 00:00:22
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Story Text: At least 47 people, including 17 children, were killed when their bus crashed and flipped off the highway in Papallacta about 40 miles (60 km) from the Ecuadorean capital Quito, authorities said on Sunday (September 24).
The victims were members of the same extended family who had rented a bus for a trip, a Red Cross official said.
Five children survived the crash and were transferred to a hospital, officials said.
A television station showed images of bodies on the side of the road and firefighters trying to pull survivors from the wreckage.
"All of my brothers and I made a little path to pull out those who were alive. We were able to evacuate 7," said Maria Olimpia Nacata, a relative of some of the victims.
Emergency officials at the scene said the driver apparently lost control of the bus and crashed into a wall on the side of the road in what they said was one of Ecuador's worst traffic accidents in recent years.
Authorities returned the bodies to the families early on Monday (September 25) who held a joint funeral in the hometown, Fajardo.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th October 2006 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.