- Title: EGYPT: Seven Russian tourists killed in Sinai bus crash
- Date: 23rd December 2008
- Summary: SHARM EL-SHEIKH HOSPITAL, WHERE INJURED ARE BEING TREATED SIGN READING: "Sharm El-Sheikh International Hospital" (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DOCTOR IN HOSPITAL, MUHAMAD ABDUL AZIZ, SAYING: "We received the injured at 1230 at night, and we took all of the necessary medical procedures, and we took x-rays and did examinations on the injured. And we applied casts on those who had broken bones, and there were cases that had internal bleeding, and we dealt with these cases as well." HOSPITAL SIGN
- Reuters ID: LVA5PFUZEFDK1Z2U4LL8YUOLTHHB
- Location: Egypt
- Country: Egypt
- Duration: 00:00:42
- Topics: Disasters / Accidents / Natural catastrophes
- Story Text: Seven Russian tourists are killed and 17 others injured when their bus overturns between two Egyptian resorts in the Sinai peninsula.
Seven Russian tourists were killed and 17 others injured when their bus overturned between two Egyptian resorts in the Sinai peninsula late on Monday (December 22) night, police sources said.
The bus was travelling from Sharm el-Sheikh at the southern tip of the peninsula to Dahab on the east coast when it overturned about five kilometres south of Dahab.
The injured, which include Russians and several Ukrainian citizens, are being treated at both the Sharm el-Sheikh and Dahab hospitals.
A doctor who treated the survivors at Sharm el-Sheikh hospital when they first arrived, described the range of injuries the tourists had suffered .
"We took x-rays and examined the injured. And we applied casts on those who had broken bones, and there were cases that had internal bleeding, and we dealt with these cases as well," said Dr. Muhamad Abdul Aziz.
Monday night's crash is the third time in four months that an Egyptian bus carrying tourists has overturned with fatal results. Seven Belgians were killed in one accident in October and three Italians when a bus overturned in September.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th January 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None