- Title: SWITZERLAND: Swiss hold a memorial for victims of tunnel bus crash
- Date: 16th March 2012
- Summary: WOMAN SINGING HYMNS
- Reuters ID: LVA8RJ1Q37C2GAZ7ENBRZ8JMVFDR
- Location: Switzerland, Switzerland
- Country: Switzerland
- Duration: 00:00:05
- Topics: Accidents
- Story Text: The Swiss town of Sierre close to where a bus crash killed 28 people, held a memorial service on Thursday (March 25) to remember the victims, most of whom were children.
The crash took place as they headed back from a school ski trip. The bus crashed into the wall if a tunnel.
Hundreds of Sierre locals gathered for the service to remember those who had perished. A solemn and emotional gathering, many looked visibly shaken by the events of Tuesday night.
"My family and I have faith and I think it's important to give a message of hope and compassion for the families involved in the catastrophe," one mourner, Vincent Hugen said.
"I am here for all the children and the families, the wives remaining without their husbands, it's tough. It's a catastrophe," another mourner Denise Voirdoux said.
Of the 52 passengers on the bus,only 24 survived. The school groups were from the Belgian towns of Heverlee and Lommel.
Some of the survivors have left for Belgium, more of them are supposed to leave later tonight. The bodies of victims are expected to be repatriated to Belgium tomorrow.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:31st March 2012 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.