SWITZERLAND: The bodies of children killed in a bus crash fly home on military planeRecord ID: 382841
- Title: SWITZERLAND: The bodies of children killed in a bus crash fly home on military plane
- Date: 17th March 2012
- Summary: SION, SWITZERLAND (MARCH 16, 2012) (REUTERS) BELGIAN C130 ON TARMAC, PEOPLE LOADING SOMETHING ON BOARD (NOT IDENTIFIABLE) FIRE TRUCK SWISS GUARDS WITH FLAG MARCHING TOWARDS THE PLANE C130 TAXIING ON TARMAC C130 LEAVING ANOTHER C130 ON TARMAC AND SWISS GUARD LINED BY THE PLANE SWISS GUARDS IN FRONT OF HANGAR NEAR PLANE SECOND C130 LEAVING SWISS GUARDS WITH FLAG LEAVING HELICOPTER TAKING OFF
- Reuters ID: LVA8QE7N1BCDCX69T9FMKTZL9O1G
- Location: Switzerland, Switzerland
- Country: Switzerland
- Duration: 00:02:54
- Topics: Accidents
- Story Text: Two military planes, carrying the bodies of the Belgian children killed in a Swiss bus crash take off from the Swiss town of Sion on Friday (March 16).
A Swiss guard stands by one of three Belgian military Hercules C130 flying the bodies home and Belgium also provided a plane to bring back the parents of the children who died.
Of the 52 passengers on the bus, which was carrying school groups from the Belgian towns of Heverlee and Lommel home from a ski trip when it crashed into the wall of a tunnel on Tuesday night, only 24 survived. Some were still in critical condition on Thursday.
The bodies of the killed were taken to Sion to be identified.
Swiss authorities said identifying some victims was so difficult that additional DNA testing was required. However, by late on Thursday, all had been formally identified.
Six children who survived with minor injuries returned home on Thursday, Belgian authorities said. A Swiss hospital spokeswoman said a further two were also on their way.
Officials said other surviving children would be able to return home if Swiss doctors determined their condition was stable. Three children remained in a critical state.
Belgium has declared a national day of mourning on Friday (March 16).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st April 2012 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None