INDONESIA: Indonesia's search and rescue agency searches for black box of crashed Russian planeRecord ID: 382891
- Title: INDONESIA: Indonesia's search and rescue agency searches for black box of crashed Russian plane
- Date: 15th May 2012
- Summary: PASIR POGOR, MOUNT SALAK, WEST JAVA PROVINCE, INDONESIA (MAY 14, 2012) (REUTERS) INDONESIAN MILITARY HELICOPTER RUSSIAN HELICOPTER PILOTS AND CREW STANDING NEAR HELICOPTER RUSSIAN AND INDONESIAN PILOTS TALKING INDONESIAN MILITARY INDONESIAN MILITARY PERSONNEL SPEAKING WITH RUSSIAN MILITARY PERSONNEL (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) WEST JAVA MILITARY COMMANDER, A.M PUTRANTO, SAYING: "The 13 members of the search and rescue team from Russia are still there, staying at the crash site. They have asked permission to build a tent, I said 'go ahead', but I also explained to them that, on the steep slopes of the mountain, even to build a tent for one person is difficult." RUSSIAN HELICOPTER PREPARING FOR INVESTIGATION HELICOPTER TAKING OFF NEWS CONFERENCE OF INDONESIA SEARCH AND RESCUE AGENCY COMMUNICATION GEARS RECOVERED FROM CRASH SITE (SONDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) HEAD OF INDONESIA SEARCH AND RESCUE AGENCY, DARYATMO, SAYING: "Our crew is still trying to recover the black box from the site, no black box has been found." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Reuters ID: LVA62WZA7J3J1Y5Q6GTB9KXWLWYG
- Location: Indonesia
- Country: Indonesia
- Duration: 00:02:08
- Topics: Disasters,Transport
- Story Text: Indonesia's search and rescue agency on Monday (May 14) said they were working to recover the black box on board the crashed Russian passenger jet that carried 48 people.
The Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft crashed into a volcano in West Java during an demonstration flight last week.
It was carrying Indonesians, including journalists and businessmen, eight Russians, including embassy officials, pilots and technicians, two Italians, one French citizen and an American, officials said.
West Java Military Commander, A.M Putranto, said the rescue and investigation mission has proven difficult due to the terrain.
"The 13 members of the search and rescue team from Russia are still there, staying at the crash site. They have asked permission to build a tent, I said 'go ahead', but I also explained to them that, on the steep slopes of the mountain, even to build a tent for one person is difficult," he said.
Some 80 Russian rescue, aeronautical and forensic experts have arrived in Indonesia to help with investigation and recovery efforts.
In a news conference, officials showed some communication gear found by rescuers but said the flight-recorder has still yet to be recovered.
"Our crew still trying to recover the blackbox from the crater, no black box has been found," said Daryatmo, Head of Search and Rescue Agency.
Indonesian officials said the Russian team will focus on investigating the cause of the accident and recovering the wreckage. The local Indonesian team will handle moving the victims' remains.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th May 2012 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None