FRANCE-CRASH/MONTABAUR-NEWSPAPER Germanwings crash co-pilot was psychiatric patient, planned big gesture - paperRecord ID: 383589
- Title: FRANCE-CRASH/MONTABAUR-NEWSPAPER Germanwings crash co-pilot was psychiatric patient, planned big gesture - paper
- Date: 28th March 2015
- Summary: MONTABAUR, GERMANY (MARCH 28, 2015) (REUTERS) STREET LEADING TO TOWN OF MONTABAUR MONTABAUR SIGN VARIOUS OF MONTABAUR CASTLE ON HILL VARIOUS OF LSC WESTERWALD GLIDING CLUB VARIOUS OF HOUSE BELIEVED TO BELONG TO PARENTS OF GERMANWINGS CO-PILOT ANDREAS LUBITZ POLICE CAR OUTSIDE HOUSE VARIOUS OF HOUSE BELIEVED TO BELONG TO PARENTS OF GERMANWINGS CO-PILOT ANDREAS LUBITZ POLICE CAR BERLIN, GERMANY (MARCH 28, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BILD NEWSPAPER ARTICLE ABOUT LUBITZ AND FORMER GIRLFRIEND
- Reuters ID: LVA9JG3NNNONRBU7EB1YA8JZWRNY
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:01:37
- Topics: General
- Story Text: The co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing a passenger plane in the French Alps told his girlfriend he was in psychiatric treatment, and that he was planning a spectacular gesture that everyone would remember, the German daily Bild reported on Saturday (March 28).
The newspaper published an interview with a woman who said she had had a relationship in 2014 with Andreas Lubitz, the man French prosecutors believe locked himself alone into the cockpit of the Germanwings Airbus on Tuesday (March 24) and steered it into a mountain, killing all 150 people on board.
The woman, a flight attendant of 26 named only as Maria W., told Bild that when she heard about the crash, she remembered that he said that "everyone will know my name and remember it."
She said that Lubitz might have realised that due to his health problems, his big dream of working as a pilot for Lufthansa on long-distance flights was nearly impossible.
German authorities said on Friday (March 27) they had found torn-up sick notes showing that the co-pilot was suffering from an illness that should have grounded him on the day of the tragedy. Germanwings, the budget airline of carrier Lufthansa, has said he had not submitted any sick note at the time.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:12th April 2015 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None