FRANCE-CRASH/PROSECUTOR Investigators say Germanwings co-pilot had suicidal tendenciesRecord ID: 383604
- Title: FRANCE-CRASH/PROSECUTOR Investigators say Germanwings co-pilot had suicidal tendencies
- Date: 30th March 2015
- Summary: DUESSELDORF, GERMANY (MARCH 30, 2015) (REUTERS) GERMAN PROSECUTOR CHRISTOPH KUMPA ARRIVING TO MAKE STATEMENT REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "Please understand that the prosecutor's office will not and cannot participate in speculation about the deceased co-pilot's motives." EXTERIOR OF BUILDING WITH SATELLITE TRUCKS PARKED OUTSIDE (SOUNDBITE) (German) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "So far, neither an announcement of such an act or a confession to it has been found. Also, no information has been found in the immediate personal and family surroundings or at his workplace which would prove possible motives for such an act. The corresponding medical documentation so far does not point to any organic illnesses." CARS PASSING SIGN OUTSIDE (SOUNDBITE) (German) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "Several years ago before obtaining his pilot's licence the co-pilot was in a long period of psychotherapeutic treatment with noticeable suicidal tendencies. After that and until the end, further doctor's visits led to sick notes without suicidal tendencies or aggression mentioned in them. That was it." SIGN (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "I have to ask you to accept that the public prosecutor's office is not able to and isn't allowed to speculate on the motives of the co-pilot who died." CAMERA CREWS REFLECTED IN WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "There still is no evidence that the co-pilot told before that he will do what we have to assume was done. And we haven't found a letter or anything like that that contains a confession of that." CAMERA (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "We have not found anything in the surroundings, be it personal or his family or his professional surroundings that is giving us any hints that enable us to say anything about his motivation. We have found medical documentation that show no organic medical illness." SIGN ON DOOR READING "PERSONAL" (EMPLOYEES) (SOUNDBITE) (German) PROSECUTOR, CHRISTOPH KUMPA, SAYING: "And we have found, as we have already communicated, evidence that his doctors documented him to be unable to work and to fly. But these documents don't show any hint of being suicidal or being aggressive against other people. That's what we have and can say right now." MONTABAUR, GERMANY (MARCH 30, 2015) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF LOCAL CHURCH VARIOUS OF NOTICE READING (German) “CHURCH OPEN. IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE VICTIMS OF THE PLANE CRASH CATASTROPHE." TABLE WITH BOOK OF CONDOLENCE IN FRONT OF ALTAR IN CHURCH BOOK OF CONDOLENCE "WALL OF SORROW AND PRAYER" WITH WRITING CHURCH INTERIOR
- Reuters ID: LVAE6XS0J7ZYSARN0KB0MT6I5T6B
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:05:06
- Topics: General
- Story Text: Investigators said in Duesseldorf on Monday (March 30) that the Germanwings co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing a plane in the French Alps last week had been treated in the past for suicidal tendencies.
"Several years ago before obtaining his pilot's licence the co-pilot was in a long period of psychotherapeutic treatment with noticeable suicidal tendencies," prosecutor Christoph Kumpa told reporters in Duesseldorf, where the pilot lived and where the flight from Barcelona was heading.
The prosecutor added that since then he had not shown any signs of suicidal behaviour nor aggressive tendencies towards others in visits to doctors.
In Montabaur, some 130 km south of Duesseldorf and where the co-pilot's parents are believed to live, people expressed their grief in signs outside and inside the local church.
"In remembrance of the victims of the plane crash catastrophe," read one sign, while inside the church, a "wall of sorrow and prayer" simply asked "why?"
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th April 2015 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None