- Title: ZAMBIA: CROP DUSTER AIRCRAFT CRASHES DURING DISPLAY.
- Date: 26th March 1973
- Summary: 1. GROUND TO AIR SHOT surviving plane circles wreckage PAN TO wreckage. (2 shots) 0.14 2. SV Crowd around crashed pilot and pilot Jifted away on makeshift stretcher. (3 shots) 0.38 3. GROUND TO AIR. Colleague circles around. 0.45 4. TV Crashed pilot loaded into car. 0.53 5. SV Wreckage (2 shots) 1.00 6. SV Car moves away with pilot. 1.02 7. SV Engine on ground PAN TO wrecked plane with crowds behind. 1.12 Initials RW/VS 1.02 RW/VS 1.11 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAC95DDDBCDZUUK1IKS0IV6G46X
- Location: LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
- Country: Zambia
- Duration: 00:01:12
- Story Text: A crop duster pilot walked away from the wreckage of his aircraft at Nyerere Farms in Lusaka on Sunday (25 March) after it crashed into a small hill in front of more than 400 spectators.
One of the people who watched the near-disaster was Zambia's Minister of Rural Development, Mr. Reuben Kamanga.
The pilot was demonstrating crop spraying techniques at the Zambian Ploughing championships. When his aircraft crashed, he was thrown clear of the wreck as it cartwheeled behind him. He was taken to hospital, but after observation, was allowed to go home. The legacy of the crash for the pilot - wrecked aircraft and a lot of bruises.
SYNOPSIS: A young pilot stole the show at Lusaka on Sunday when he crashed his aircraft in front of a crowed of officials who were watching him demonstrate some new crop dusting techniques.
About four hundred people - including Zambia's Rural Development Minister Mr. Kamanga - were watching the display when the bi-plane crashed almost at their feet. The plane came down low at a rise in the ground, but instead of rising, the aircraft smashed into it. But as the plane crashed....the pilot was thrown out, and the wreckage cartwheeled away.
Crowds surged around the wreckage and the pilot as he was put into a car and driven to hospital. The aircraft was badly damaged.....
The young pilot got clear of the aircraft before he was too badly hurt. He said later he managed to crawl away in case it caught fire. The hospital he was taken to said he suffered only a few bruises.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th April 1973 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None