- Title: EGYPT: 60 PEOPLE DIE IN TRAIN CRASH
- Date: 21st December 1995
- Summary: BADRASHEEN, EGYPT (DECEMBER 21, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV TWO TRAIN CARRIAGES ON TOP OF EACH OTHER 0.12 2. SV VARIOUS OF CRASHED CARRIAGES, PEOPLE WALKING ABOUT AND LOOKING FOR SURVIVORS 0.48 3. SV BODY BEING BROUGHT OUT OF TRAIN ON A STRETCHER 1.04 4. SV INJURED MAN BEING CARRIED OUT OF TRAIN/AMBULANCE DRIVES AWAY 1.22 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVADWY7CV38FAF79U9T1VQ7EUGJZ
- Location: BADRASHEEN, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Duration: 00:01:25
- Story Text: More than 60 people were killed when one Egyptian train ran into the back of another in thick fog on Thursday (December 21), eyewitnesses said.
The eyewitnesses said they had counted the bodies as rescue workers took them off the trains in the town of Badrasheen, 28 km (17 miles) south of the capital Cairo.
A local government official, Hassan Nigm, later said one hospital had 66 dead and there were others at a second hospital. At least 65 people were injured, he added.
An ambulance went around the streets of the town appealing to people to go to the hospitals and donate blood.
Security sources said a train carrying workers from Cairo to the provincial town of Beni Suef was running ahead of schedule and hit a train waiting at the station at 7 a.m. (0500 GMT). The trains should have been five minutes apart, they added.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th January 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None