SINGAPORE: MANUNGGAL AIR F-28 CRASHES AT MILITARY AIRFIELD IN SINGAPORE BUT NO CASUALTIES ARE REPORTEDRecord ID: 383660
- Title: SINGAPORE: MANUNGGAL AIR F-28 CRASHES AT MILITARY AIRFIELD IN SINGAPORE BUT NO CASUALTIES ARE REPORTED
- Date: 16th May 1998
- Summary: SINGAPORE (MAY 16, 1998) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS OF PLANE AT CRASH SITE (5 SHOTS) 0.25 2. SLV FIRE ENGINE AT SCENE 0.30 3. SLV SECURITY AT AIRPORT 0.35 4. VARIOUS OF PLANE (5 SHOTS) 1.06 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA14QJJ4VLKTVEY94XB9WWXNGEA
- Location: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Duration: 00:01:07
- Story Text: An aircraft carrying 79 passengers has crashed at an airfield in Singapore, but there were no casualties.
The aircraft was on charter and was believed to be carrying Indonesian ethnic Chinese and westerners fleeing the riot-torn Indonesian capital of Jakarta when it crashed on Saturday (May 16) at the Seletar military airbase.
Witnesses at the airbase said the plane was lying on its left side.Its left under-carriage had apparently given way.
There did not appear to have been a fire.
One source in Jakarta told Reuters the plane was a Fokker F-28.There was no immediate confirmation of this.
Seletar airbase has been used as a landing point for refugees from Indonesia.
Jakarta has seen a mass exodus of foreigners following four days of protests and violence which have left at least 230 people dead.
Many of those fleeing Indonesia were from the minority ethnic Chinese community, which has been targeted by mobs.
In the early hours of Saturday, about 800 Americans and Canadians, mostly frightened women, children and elderly, were escorted in convoys of buses from assembly points in Jakarta to board planes for Singapore and Bangkok.
A spokesman for Singapore Airlines told Reuters the downed aircraft was not one of theirs.
Seletar airbase, used for both military and civilian aircraft, was under heavy guard on Saturday with police cordoning off the airfield, witnesses said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:31st May 1998 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None