ROMANIA: BELGIUM AMBASSADOR ANNOUNCES AIRBUS CRASH NOT A "MALICIOUS ACT" BUT AN ACCIDENT.Record ID: 383662
- Title: ROMANIA: BELGIUM AMBASSADOR ANNOUNCES AIRBUS CRASH NOT A "MALICIOUS ACT" BUT AN ACCIDENT.
- Date: 1st April 1995
- Summary: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (APRIL 1, 1995) (RTV-ACCESS ALL) 1. MCU SIGN/ZOOM OUT EXT. BELGIAN EMBASSY/ BELGIAN AMBASSADOR TO ROMANIA, IGNACE VAN STEENBERGE SURROUNDED BY MEDIA/ SAYING THE AIRBUS CRASH WAS AN ACCIDENT (ENGLISH) (5 SHOTS) 1.29 2. GV/VARIOUS OF CRASH SITE / INVESTIGATORS EXAMINING DEBRIS/ SNIFFER DOG AT CRASH SCENE (3 SHOTS) 1.49 SEQ.1: TRANSCRIPT; STEENBERGE: " I PERSONALLY AM CONVINCED THAT IT WAS AN ACCIDENT." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAC2MVQ329NNBX3EGDSHBH76TMW
- Location: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Duration: 00:01:49
- Story Text: Belgium's ambassador to Romania said on Saturday (April 1) that he believed the crash of an Airbus near Bucharest on Friday was an accident and not a "malicious act".
"I personally am convinced it was an accident," Ignace Van Steenberge told a news conference on the crash of the Brussels-bound aircraft. Thirty-two Belgians were among the 59 people killed when the Tarom Romanian airlines Airbus crashed shortly after take-off.
Van Steenberge said no individual or group had claimed responsibility for the crash. He added he was sure an investigation would prove it had been an accident.
"We haven't heard anything," he said.
One eyewitness had reported seeing and hearing an explosion towards the rear of the Airbus A310 shortly before it hit the ground just after takeoff from Bucharest's Otopeni airport during a snowstorm.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:16th April 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None