- Title: ROMANIA: FUNERALS OF ROMANIAN VICTIMS OF A PLANE CRASH
- Date: 6th April 1995
- Summary: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA (APRIL 6, 1995)(RTV - ACCESS ALL) (AUDIO AS INCOMING) 1. GVS/SVS OF CROWDS AT FUNERAL 0.33 2. MCU RELATIVE CRYING 0.44 3. CU/SV PEOPLE LIGHTING CANDLES 0.54 4. SV BELGIAN AIR FORCE PLANE TAXIING ON AIRPORT TARMAC 1.00 5. SVS BELGIAN COMMUNICATIONS MINISTER ELIO DI RUPO STEPS OFF PLANE/GREETS ROMANIAN OFFICIALS/WALKS ACROSS TARMAC 1.12 6. MCU DI RUPO TALKING ABOUT THE CRASH, SAYING IT IS TOO TO EARLY TO TELL HOW THE CRASH OCCURRED (ENGLISH) 1.27 7. SV CARS ARRIVING AT SITE OF CRASH 1.38 8. SLV/SVS OF DI RUPO AT CRASH SITE 1.59 TRANSCRIPT SQ 6: DI RUPO: "IT IS TOO EARLY AND IT IS ROMANIAN AUTHORITIES THAT ARE GOING TO SAY WHAT IT WAS ABOUT" Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA3WDEAF7Q0TA02UC39Y5PL0ACR
- Location: BUCHAREST, ROMANIA
- Country: Romania
- Duration: 00:02:00
- Story Text: Thousands of people gathered in the Ghencea cemetary in Bucharest on Thursday (April 6) for the first funerals of Romanian victims of last week's plane crash.
A Romanian Tarom airlines Airbus 310 crashed shortly after takeoff for Brussels in falling snow last Friday.
A witness reported seeing an explosion on board before the Airbus hit the ground but first results from the investigation suggest all was normal in the cockpit.
Belgian communications minister Elio Di Rupo arrived in Bucharest on Thursday to help investigations into the crash, in which 32 Belgians were among the casualties.
"I'm here because the tragedy concerns Romania and Belgium and now after roughly one week we are able to examine the situation and to have some important information from everybody," Elio di Rupo said upon arrival.
Di Rupo said he was keeping an open mind on the cause of the accident, the worst loss of life involving Belgians in 20 years, and that Romania was taking the lead in the inquiry. Later, after talks with Romanian investigators, he said there was no evidence of terrorist involvement.
Tarom has repeatedly ruled out pilot error as a possible cause of the crash but given no evidence to back that view.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:21st April 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None