- Title: UGANDA: CARGO PLANE CRASHES INTO LAKE VICTORIA INJURING CREW
- Date: 19th March 2005
- Summary: (W1) ENTEBBE, UGANDA (MARCH 19, 2005)(REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV/LV PLANE CRASH SITE (3 SHOTS) 0.10 2. MCU (English) ZAMBRA AKANDONDA, MANAGING DIRECTOR OF CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY SAYING: "This morning, a Ghanaian registered aircraft from Addis Ababa crashed on attempting to land at Entebbe International airport. The aircraft was leased to Ethiopian by a Belgian company based in Belgian now as Cargo Plus. It was going to Lom. Fortunately, after the crash, the fire and rescue was able to reach the site on time and rescued all the five crew on board. 1.04 3. SLV/CU COCKPIT OF THE PLANE (2 SHOTS) 1.10 4. LV OTHER PARTS OF PLANE IN THE LAKE (3 SHOTS) 1.18 5. SLV CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY STAFF CLEANING THE CRASH SITE 1.22 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAB4SYMSOCZX83J5ERT1Y6JV832
- Location: ENTEBBE, UGANDA
- Country: Uganda
- Duration: 00:01:22
- Story Text: Cargo plane crashes into lake Victoria injuring crew.
A cargo plane contracted by Ethiopian Airlines
crashed while landing at Entebbe Airport in Uganda,
seriously injuring the pilot and crew, officials said on
Saturday (March 19).
"This morning, a Ghanaian registered aircraft from
Addis Ababa crashed on attempting to land at Entebbe
International airport", Zambra Akandonda, from the civil
aviation authority, told Reuters.
The Boeing 707 plunged into Lake Victoria, Africa's
biggest lake, and witnesses said it was broken into several
pieces with the main body split into two sections.
The cargo, mainly packets of T-shirts and music
cassettes, were strewn around the scene of the accident.
Officials said the pilot aborted his first attempt
to land because of rain and on a second attempt the tail of
the plane clipped an object at the end of the runaway,
sending it into the water.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:3rd April 2005 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None