- Title: FRANCE: INVESTIGATIONS CONTINUE INTO CONCORDE CRASH.
- Date: 27th July 2000
- Summary: GONESSE, FRANCE (27 JULY 2000) (REUTERS - AVAIL ALL) 1. GV: WIDE OF CRASH SITE 0.04 2. LV/GV: INVESTIGATING CREWS ON THE GROUND (2 SHOTS) 0.15 3. GV: FIREMEN AND FORENSIC SCIENTISTS SIFT WRECKAGE AND DEBRIS (7 SHOTS) 1.27 PARIS, FRANCE (27 JULY 2000) (REUTERS - AVAIL ALL) 4. GV: GRIEVING RELATIVES ARRIVE AT THE LEGAL MEDICAL INSTITUE (7 SHOTS) 2.09 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8UZ9OLJ3S4KJBRB3M3FBCDT0A
- Location: GONESSE, PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:11
- Story Text: Investigators probing the Air France Concorde
disaster hope to complete analysis of the aircraft's black
boxes later Thursday to finally determine whether a faulty
engine caused the crash.
One of the aircraft's four turbojets, which spewed a
trail of flame as the doomed supersonic aircraft took off
from Charles de Gaulle airport on Tuesday (July 25) afternoon,
had been repaired minutes earlier at the pilot's insistence.
Unable to gain altitude, the stricken airliner
plunged into a hotel in the town of Gonesse, just north of
Paris, killing all 109 on board and four people on the
The black boxes were recovered on Tuesday (July
25) night and investigators have worked around the clock
analysing the data.
Tuesday's harrowing crash was the first fatal
accident involving the Concorde in almost a quarter of a
century of service.
As experts examined the technical data, forensic
scientists continued to scour the crash site, searching for
the charred bodies. By late Wednesday (July 26), 105 of the
113 victims had been recovered, but officials said
identification would be difficult.
Grieving relatives of the victims have been
visiting the Legal Medical Institure in Paris. The bodies of
many of the victims are at the Institute for examination.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th August 2000 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None