SRI LANKA: "BLACK BOX" FROM CRASHED JETLINER STILL NOT FOUND AS INVESTIGATORS CONTINUE SEARCH THROUGH WRECKAGE.Record ID: 383702
- Title: SRI LANKA: "BLACK BOX" FROM CRASHED JETLINER STILL NOT FOUND AS INVESTIGATORS CONTINUE SEARCH THROUGH WRECKAGE.
- Date: 10th December 1974
- Summary: 1. GV search party climbing mountain slope (2) 0.06 2. TV people sifting through wreckage 0.11 3. TV wreckage (2) 0.18 4. MV mutilated body 0.20 5. CU severed hand 0.21 6. GV people searching through wreckage 0.24 7. GV seven virgin mountain 0.27 8. GV people looking at mountain 0.30 9. CU and GV officials talking and searching through personal items (2) 0.44 10. GV officials examing air-crash window (2) 0.52 11. MV officials looking through personal documents 0.59 12. CU and GV funeral car away (3) 1.81 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA5J3F6OTUDNGWRM97M8VMQ2OTQ
- Location: MUSKELIYA, 60 MILES (100 KMS) EAST COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Duration: 00:01:10
- Story Text: Search parties combing the rugged jungles of Sri Lanka over the weekend were still unable to locate the "black box" needed to explain the crash of a Dutch charter jet in which 191 people died.
A Dutch police officer, Mr. De Jinger, leader of a team of police officers who arrived to help Dutch and Indonesian investigators, said the bodies of the aircraft's pilot and Dutch crew had still not been recovered.
The charred and mutilated remains of several passengers have so far been recovered, along with a number of personal items.
The jungle area at the base of the Seven Virgins Mountains where the Martinair DC-8 crashed last Wednesday is infested with snakes, leopards and other animals. The site is about 60 miles (100 kms) from Colombo.
The aircraft was carrying 182 Moslem pilgrims to Mecca and a crew of nine, when it smashed into the side of a cliff in the second worst air disaster in history.
The number of dead was exceeded only by the March crash of a Turkish DC-10 near Paris in which 345 people died.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th December 1974 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None