- Title: SPAIN: WRECKED TRAIN COVERS TRACK AFTER CRASH IN WHICH AT LEAST TWO DIE.
- Date: 8th January 1972
- Summary: 1. SV Sign "Madina Del Campo" and train arriving 0.05 2. CU Sign on train "Avile Madrid" 0.06 3. SCU PAN Rubble along trackside 0.11 4. SV Wheels of carriage off line TILT UP TO smashed carriage wall 0.19 5. SCU Tangled wreckage inside smashed carriage PAN ALONG crushed metal (3 shots) 0.35 6. MV PAN Smashed carriage 0.42 7. SV PAN Rescue worker in wrecked carriage 0.51 8. SCU Blood and glass on floor of carriage 1.05 9. SV Rescue workers cut through metal with ecetlyine torch (2 shots) 1.18 Initials BB/0203 JH/BOB/BB/0127 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA5IM373V7MRFX5Y08AOXH1RL16
- Location: MEDINA DEL CAMPO, APAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:19
- Story Text: Two express trains collided in Spain on Friday (7 January) and at least two people were killed. Railway officials told reporters that three bodies had been recovered from the wreckage at the scene of the accident, just outside the Medina Del Campo station, about 100 miles (160 Kms) northwest of Madrid. But a railway spokesman said the toll could not be confirmed.
Early on Saturday (8 January) morning, the wreckage still covered the tracks. At least 50 people were treated for minor injuries and two were taken to hospital.
A second crash occurred later on Saturday--again in northwest Spain. In that accident, also a collision between two oncoming trains, four people were feared dead.
SYNOPSIS: Medina Del Campo, IOU miles northwest of Madrid, was the scene on Friday of a collision between two express trains. At least two people were feared dead in the crash.
Railway officials said three bodies were recovered, but the toll couldn't be confirmed. It was known that 50 people were treated for shock and minor injuries and two people were taken to hospital. One of the dead was the driver of the Madrid-Santander express. The other train involved in the crash was the Vallodolid-Madrid express.
There's no immediate indication of the cause of the crash which happened at the junction of the two main lines.
An investigation has been opened into the cause.
On Saturday, wreckage still covered the line as efforts were being made to ??? it. Later on Saturday, there was another fatal rail crash in Spain.. again in the northwest part of the country. Four people were feared dead when a goods train and a mail train collided in a tunnel. The engine-crews of both trains were feared dead in the head-on collision, police said. The situation was worsened by heavy snow which hampered rescue work.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd January 1972 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None