- Title: EGYPT: FUNERAL FOR VICTIMS OF FATAL THAI AIR CRASH.
- Date: 4th January 1977
- Summary: 1. GV Elnasr Mosque, Cairo, Egypt, with mourners outside 0.06 2. SVS Coffins being carried on shoulders along route from morgue (2 shots) 0.26 3. CU Minister for Aviation, Ibrahim Naguib, walking between two officials 0.30 4. SV Pilots walking behind coffins 0.34 5. SCU Air hostesses crying as they walk behind coffins 0.38 6. GVS Wreaths, coffins, mourners (2 shots) 1.23 Initials OS Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8UEFGT7OKY7EHJ3H14FYPTF42
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Duration: 00:01:22
- Story Text: A funeral was held in Egypt on Sunday (2 January) for the victims of the fatal air crash in Thailand. The disaster happened on December the 25th -- Christmas Day -- when an Egyptian airlines Boeing 707 plunged into a textile factory in Bangkok, killing at least 73 people.
SYNOPSIS: Mourners gathered outside Cairo's Elnasr Mosque on Sunday (2 January) for the funeral. All 52 people aboard the Cairo-Tokyo flight were killed, with at least 21 mill workers on the ground. Rescuers were having difficulty in establishing the number of workers in the factory at the time. But no explanation for the disaster has been made public. Among those who paid his respects at the funeral was the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Ibrahim Naguib.
It was Thailand's worst air crash in recent years.
According to a statement from the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF), radio contact with the aircraft was maintained until it was only four miles (6.4 kilometres) from the runway. Officials said the 'plane did not respond to the last three calls from the control tower.
But all other factors indicated the Boeing was in normal working condition as it came in to land.
A team of Egyptian investigators who were flown over to aid in the inquiry, said they detected no irregularities in the communications. Officials believe it will be months before any findings can be announced.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:19th January 1977 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None