- Title: USA: 'SHOWGIRLS' WINS SEVEN GOLDEN RASPBERRY AWARDS AT THE RAZZIES
- Date: 24th March 1996
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MARCH 24, 1996) (REUTERS) DIRECTOR OF "SHOWGIRLS" PAUL VERHOEVEN ACCEPTING AWARD, SAYING THIS MEANS I AM ACCEPTED HERE AND I'M PART OF THIS GREAT AMERCIAN SOCIETY (ENGLISH) "WORST ACTOR" AWARD BEING ANNOUNCED AS PAULY SHORE VERHOEVEN WATCHING "SHOWGIRLS" ACTRESS ELIZABETH BERKELEY BEING ANNOUNCED AS WINNER OF "WORST ACTRESS" AWARD
- Reuters ID: LVA8W9XVUK3CIZY2RHN55ML2IZ1U
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:38
- Story Text: An ultra-hyped, critically-panned movie about Las Vegas strippers swept Sunday's (March 24) Golden Raspberry Awards to honour Hollywood's greatest flops.
"Showgirls" picked up a record seven "Razzies", including the "coveted" Worst Picture of the Year.
John Wilson, who created the Razzies 16 years ago to award the film industry's poorest pictures, presented the award at a glittering ceremony in Hollywood's Roosevelt Hotel.
He said the award might give the studio, MGM-UA, "a leg up" in their current efforts to turn the bare-breasted box office bomb into a midnight camp classic, much like the
"Rocky Horror Picture Show".
The tongue-in-cheek awards are held the day before the all-important Oscars ceremony.
None of the actors turned up to claim their Razzie -- a gold spray-painted golf ball-sized plastic raspberry atop a reel of Super-8 film.
"Showgirls", which had been nominated in 13 categories, eclipses Pia Zadora's "Lonely Lady" as the "most dishonoured movie" in Razzie history.
Paul Verhoeven, "Showgirls'" director, was elected Worst Director, Joe Eszterhas won Worst Screenplay and Elizabeth Berkley -- who won herself a place in movie lore by licking a metal pole while dancing topless -- won the nod for Worst Actress and Worst New Star.
In addition to being Worst Picture, "Showgirls" also took the Worst Original Song Razzie for "Walk into the Wind" -- also known as "The Love Theme from the Rape Scene".
The film also picked up the Worst Screen Couple award for "any combination of two people or two body parts."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None