- Title: TAIWAN: Red Cliff II, John Woo epic film premieres in Taipei
- Date: 15th January 2009
- Summary: TAIPEI, TAIWAN (JANUARY 14, 2009) (REUTERS) DIRECTOR JOHN WOO AND FILM CAST ON STAGE AT MOVIE PREMIERE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin)DIRECTOR JOHN WOO SAYING: "I can only describe my current mood in one word, thankful. I am thankful because this movie fulfilled a dream, and it also proved our ability to produce a Hollywood-scaled film in the Asia region." WORKERS BRINGING IN MODEL WOODEN SHIPS DIRECTOR JOHN WOO HOLDING A TORCH DIRECTOR JOHN WOO LIGHTING THE MODEL WOODEN SHIPS THE MODEL WOODEN SHIPS BURNING THE FILM CAST BEHIND THE BURNING SHIP MODEL SKY LANTERN RISING UP BEHIND THE STAGE AT THE MOVIE PREMIERE
- Reuters ID: LVA7VIRUFCKWQ2RKBUMS1RSMI8TS
- Duration: 00:01:02
- Story Text: John Woo's latest epic war movie, Red Cliff II, premieres in Taipei.
Red Cliff II, the sequel to the War Epic directed by John Woo, premiered in Taipei on Wednesday (January 14) after gaining more than 15 million RMB (2.2 million USD) box office sales in Mainland China since January 7, 2009, according to a statement released by 20th century Fox Taiwan.
"I can only describe my current mood in one word, thankful. I am thankful because this movie fulfilled a dream, and it also proved our ability to produce a Hollywood-scaled film in the Asia region," said Woo, director of such hits as "Face/Off" and "Mission Impossible II", at the movie premiere.
The film, adapted from China's classic novel "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", is set in 208 AD in the dying days of the Han dynasty, culminating in the battle of Red Cliff in which 2,000 ships were burnt.
It stars Hong Kong's Tony Leung, the Chinese mainland's Zhang Fengyi and Takeshi Kaneshiro, whose father is from Japan and mother is from Taiwan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th January 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None