- Title: USA: INDEPENDENT SPIRIT AWARDS CEREMONY
- Date: 23rd March 1996
- Summary: SAMUEL JACKSON ARRIVING, SAYS AN INDEPENDENT FILM TENDS TO BE A FILM THAT IS CREATED AND FINANCED BY A FILMMAKER WHO COULDN'T GET STUDIO BACKING WHO IS TRYING TO DO A LABOUR OF LOVE AND TRYING TO GET HIS FOOT IN THE DOOR OF MAINSTREAM FILM-MAKING (ENGLISH) SANDRA BULLOCK ARRIVES, SAYS YOU CAN NO LONGER DEFINE THEM BECAUSE IT BECOMES SO VAST AND CREATIVE AND LARGE THAT IT'S JUST A LOT OF EVERYTHING (ENGLISH) ROD STEIGER SAYING THE BUDGETS HAVE GOT SO STAGGERING ON SOME OF THEM, THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT, THEY'RE AFRAID OF LOSING THEIR MONEY AND THE INDEPENDENTS ARE THE ONES THAT BRING THE MAJORITY OF GOOD TASTE TO FILMS (ENGLISH) JODIE FOSTER SAYING HOPEFULLY I'LL CONTINUE TO MAKE INDEPENDENT FILMS. IF EVERYONE HAD THEIR FANTASY, IT WOULD BE TO MAKE FILMS INDEPENDENTLY AND HAVE THEM SCREENED BY THE MAJORS SO MORE PEOPLE CAN SEE THEM (ENGLISH)
- Reuters ID: LVA7DI2QFNWMLIWJ8GCWYUQ4KOV9
- Location: SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:50
- Topics: Entertainment,Industry
- Story Text: While Los Angeles was consumed with Oscars fever, Santa Monica dished out its own awards on Saturday (March 23), the annual Independent Spirit Awards.
With just as many stars attending as its more famous rival, the ceremony is considered the premier event in the independent film community.
The Spirit Awards were set up to recognise exceptional efforts and reward visionary filmmaking.
Big winners this year were "Leaving Las Vegas" which received Best Feature, Best Director for Mike Figgis, Best Actress for Elisabeth Shu and Best Cinematography honors.
"The Ususal Suspects" also scored highly, winning an award for Best Supporting Actor for Benicio Del Toro and Best Screenplay.
Other winners included Sean Penn as Best Actor for his role in "Dead Man Walking," the film that clinched an Oscar for Susan Sarandon for Best Actress.
Mare Winningham was awarded Best Supporting Actress for "Georgia".
"The Brothers McMullen" won Best First Feature for director Edward Burns.
Oscar-nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson hosted the ceremony, which included a special tribute to director Sam Fuller, a man who made films in an independent spirit throughout the 1950's, at the height of the studio system.
"An independent film tends to be a film that is created and financed by a film-maker who couldn't get studio backing who is trying to do a labour of love," Jackson said.
Actor Rod Steiger said the budgets on studio movies was so staggering, producers were afraid of doing something different and risk losing their money.
"The independents are the ones that bring the majority of good taste to films," he said.
With seven thousand members, the Independent Feature Project which handed out the awards is one of the largest non-profit membership organizations supporting the development, production and distribution of quality American independent films in the United States.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None