GERMANY: Renee Zellweger wows Berlin film fans at the world premiere of "My One and Only"Record ID: 385006
- Title: GERMANY: Renee Zellweger wows Berlin film fans at the world premiere of "My One and Only"
- Date: 14th February 2009
- Summary: BERLIN GERMANY (FEBRUARY 12, 2009) (REUTERS) RED CARPET AT THE BERLINALE PALAST PHOTOGRAPHER MARK RENDALL ARRIVES AT PREMIERE PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS RENEE ZELLWEGER WITH FANS VARIOUS MEDIA VARIOUS RENEE ZELLWEGER ON RED CARPET PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS RENEE ZELLWEGER (SOUNDBITE) (English) RENEE ZELLWEGER SAYING: "He only just called me with it last year and the minute he put it in my hands it was a big fat yes from me, so this has been quick and wonderful an experience. I did not know about the suffering and trying to get it to the screen but I tell you, I am glad he decided to call me about it." RENEE ZELLWEGER RENEE ZELLWEGER WITH DIRECTOR, RICHARD LONCRAINE (SOUNDBITE) (English) RENEE ZELLWEGER SAYING: "Every lady should be so lucky to have boys like these two, they are fantastic. QUESTION OFF CAMERA: "Are you preparing to possibly start a family of your own?" ANSWER: "Oh stop, you don't want to ask me that today." PHOTOGRAPHERS VARIOUS RICHARD LONCRAINE, DIRECTOR (SOUNDBITE) (English) RICHARD LONCRAINE, DIRECTOR, SAYING: "It is a movie that makes you feel better when you come out than when you come in, and I feel that at the moment that it is all quite hard out there for everybody. You never quite know what is around the corner with industry and work and business and money, so this film you can escape the rigors of life for just an hour. So I hope people like it." VARIOUS RENEE ZELLWEGER
- Reuters ID: LVA9M2WAV1L5MI9M5120YPBRDEIZ
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:02:54
- Story Text: Hollywood makes a splash in Berlin as Renee Zellweger takes to the red carpet, February 12, at the International Berlin Film Festival.
Renee Zellweger took center stage at the world premiere of her latest film 'My One and Only.' In the movie she plays Ann Devereaux, a middle aged woman who courts a bankrupt businessman, a cruel colonel and a deranged "serial matrimonialist" in a touching new comedy loosely based on the 1950s childhood of Hollywood actor George Hamilton.
Much of the humour and depth of the film comes from the dynamic between the mother and two sons Robbie, played by Mark Rendall, and George, played by Logan Lerman.
George, a young charmer, is torn between his mother and his philandering father, a band leader played by Kevin Bacon.
The ultra-camp Robbie is obsessed with becoming an actor, but, despite landing lead theatrical roles at every school he attends during the odyssey, he never gets to play the part because his mother is keen to move on.
Despite a seemingly endless series of setbacks, Devereaux clings to her optimistic view on life, and, although far from the model mother, shows love and fierce loyalty to her boys who come from different relationships.
In the film Zellweger's character leaves her husband when she finds him in bed with another woman and takes her two sons on a road trip across America to find a suitable replacement.
The actress enjoyed acting as a mum and wished that "every lady should be so lucky" to have boys like the ones she has in the film.
When questioned on her own plans to start a family, Zellweger pulled away saying, "Oh stop, you don't want to ask me that today."
British director Richard Loncraine who described "My One and Only" as one of the "great unmade scripts of Hollywood" (it took some 10 years before the film was finally produced) believes that his movie offers viewers a temporary reprieve from the ongoing troubles of today's financial crisis.
"It is a movie that makes you feel better when you come out than when you come in, and I feel that at the moment that it is all quite hard out there for everybody," Loncraine told Reuters from the red carpet.
"You never quite know what is around the corner with industry and work and business and money, so this film you can escape the rigors of life for just an hour. So I hope people like it."
"My One and Only" is one of eighteen films competing for the coveted Gold and Silver Bears at this years competition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st March 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None