- Title: JAPAN: Chinese pop star Jane Z seeks to break into global music industry
- Date: 2nd March 2009
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ZHANG SINGING "TO BE LOVED", ONE OF HER HIT SONGS
- Reuters ID: LVASUTASW4WZN0TS7KX02KZOXY5
- Location: Japan
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:00:31
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: Twenty-four-year-old Chinese celebrity Jane Z, known in China as Zhang Liangying, held a news conference in Tokyo on Friday (February 27) as part of a promotional event aimed at breaking into the international music industry.
Zhang, who has become China's biggest pop star with 13 singles topping the Chinese charts and voted China's Best Female Artist for three years in a row, is little known outside her country.
At a new conference in Tokyo she said she wanted to change that.
"The reason why I look forward to and have faith in international markets, especially the Japanese and American industries, is because I know there are many people who love and understand music," said Zhang.
Zhang performed for then-Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda last year during Chinese President Hu Jintao's visit to Japan.
When asked what she planned on doing to make her mark in the Japanese and American markets, Zhang said she would concentrate on her singing.
"I feel that good songs will draw attention in the industry. So the issues surrounding the industry will be handled by my company or my agent.
I'll just focus on singing," she said.
Zhang plans her first public concert in Japan on March 29th.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th March 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.