GERMANY: Anglo-Swedish Indie rock band Razorlight tours as frontman Johnny Borrell says much of show is improvisedRecord ID: 385061
- Title: GERMANY: Anglo-Swedish Indie rock band Razorlight tours as frontman Johnny Borrell says much of show is improvised
- Date: 17th April 2009
- Summary: COLOGNE, GERMANY (APRIL 15, 2009) (REUTERS) (** FLASHING PHOTOGRAPHY/ LASER LIGHTS *** ) EXCERPT FROM "RAZORLIGHT" COLOGNE CONCERT AT E-WERK CONCERT HALL
- Reuters ID: LVAESIZ9FUK1OV1FQ8U1ACXIU1RC
- Location: Germany
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:33
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: Johnny Borrell, the frontman of Anglo-Swedish indie rock band Razorlight has said at a concert in Germany on Wednesday (April 15) that apart of the group's success was probably due to the nightly "improvisations" on stage.
Speaking to Reuters Television while on tour in Cologne, Borrell said "I always think the whole reason I put together a band in the first place is (that) I sued to go to shows and watch bands and I just wanted to put together something that you wouldn't get bored by over an hour."
"I just wanted to put together a rock n'roll band that you could go and watch and you didn't get that moment half way through where you feel like you had seen the whole thing."
"So we improvise every night. That's part of the covenant of Razorlight, you know."
Borrell's debut album "Up All Night" was followed by the current "Slipway Fires" which in his native England was sometimes harshly criticised.
Referring to the time he spent on a small island off Scotland to write new songs, Borrell said "looking back at it now, it's a while ago that I went up to Scotland. It's over a year ago."
"I sort of think, I can't believe I did that. It's quite a brave thing to do, at the height of all your success and everything like that to go 'you know what? Fuck you, I'm not playing this game anymore. I'm going away and I'm going to do my own thing."
As part of their Germany tour, Razorlight will also perform in Hamburg, Berlin, Hanover and Bochum.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd May 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.