- Title: ARGENTINA: MADONNA WAVES TO FANS FROM HER HOTEL BALCONY
- Date: 8th February 1996
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES (FEBRUARY 7 1996) (RTV - AVAILABLE ALL) WORKERS REFURBISHING EXTERIOR OF BUILDINGS TO MAKE THEM CONFORM WITH THE PERIOD OF THE FILM PANEL WITH PHOTOS OF THE BUILDINGS AS THEY WERE FIFTY YEARS AGO
- Reuters ID: LVA4AXT7FZFXBHYET41N8C9MNQZB
- Location: URIBELARREA, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Duration: 00:00:40
- Story Text: On Sunday (February 11), Madonna fianlly gave fans an Evita-like wave from her hotel balcony. Since her arrival, the pop superstar has maintained a low profile despite desparate fans gathering outside her hotel anticipating a rare glimpse.
Many devout Peronists dislike the idea of Madonna playing the role of Evita in Alan Parker's film saying that she will make the matriarch look like an ambitious woman who used sex to get what she wanted.
Men and Women dressed in clothes resembling the 1940s arrived on the movie set of Evita as extras on Saturday (February 10) as filming of the controversial movie got underway.
Film crews were working in two of Buenos Aires most picturesque neighbourhoods which will be featured in the film, "La Boca" and "Puerto Madero". Both had to be remodelled to look as they did in the 1940's and while some residents were pleased that their neighbourhoods were to be featured, others were angered at the choice of Madonna to play the role of a former first lady who was adored by large sections of the population.
"Every country has its symbols, its presidents, its beloved heroes," said one resident of La Boca, "Evita was loved here, she is still loved and remembered but Madona as Evita, No way." Under heavy police protection, cameras began rolling on the much awaited "Evita" production by Alan Parker in Uribelarrea, Agentina on Thursday (February 8).
More than 400 were called for the first day of production which entailed the re-creation of the funeral of Juan Duarte, Evita Peron's father.
Uribelarrea, which is located 80 km from the captial, was chosen as the productions site because of its turn of the century characteristics. It is a town which has retained most of its charm and historic homes.
The first scene shot was that of Evita as a young girl arriving with her mother at the funeral of her father. Since Evita was the illegilimate daughter of Duarte, she and her mother are not welcome at the funeral. When they arrive, Duarte's wife tries to stop them from entering the church, but Evita is able to go inside.
The last scene shot on Thursday was that of the funeral procession.
Antonio Banderas and Madonna, the films two stars, were not present for the shooting as they were not in the funeral scenes.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd February 1996 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None