- Title: USA: "BAYWATCH" STAR JAASON SIMMONS SPEAKS ABOUT HIS ROLE
- Date: 29th June 1995
- Summary: (RTV - ACCESS ALL) (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) JAASON SIMMONS - "LOGAN FOWLER" - SAYING HE STAYED AT HOME (IN TASMANIA) UNTIL HE WAS 15, THEN WENT TO SYDNEY, BORROWED SOME MONEY FROM A FRIEND AND WENT TO LOS ANGELES TO ACTING SCHOOL
- Reuters ID: LVA8LZKN6YVKN151IEOTLSJ5HK21
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: "Baywatch" lifeguard Jaason Simmons has apparently upset the hit television show's producers by getting a new tattoo just as taping of the next series begins.
Simmons plays the manipulative, yet charming, Australian bad boy Logan Fowler.
The actor told Reuters Television he only let "Baywatch" executives know about his new tattoo after the large motif was inscribed on his right arm.
He joked that future contracts might ban stars from getting tattoos without consent. Co-star Pamela Anderson recently had a barbed-wire ring tattooed on her arm for her movie "Barb Wire." Simmons was born in Tasmania, Australia. Determined to become and actor from age seven, he borrowed money from a friend to travel from Sydney to Los Angeles, where he began working as a waiter.
Simmons said he was about to give up hope of stardom when he won the role of Fowler. He said there was a little bit of Fowler's arrogant on-screen personality in everyone, but joked he hardly ever exhibited it himself.
The actor has, however, just laid himself bare for the September issue of "Playgirl" magazine, which goes on sale in late July. Simmons said initially he was to pose for the cover of the magazine, but knew the photographer and went a bit further than expected.
Meanwhile, Simmons' boss, "Baywatch" executive producer David Hasselhoff has also been concentrating on off-screen activities.
Hasselhoff celebrated the U.S. release of his latest CD with an album-signing appearance in Los Angeles' Tower Records.
His last six albums have all gone either gold or platinum on the European music charts, boosted by large sales in Germany.
Hasselhoff is hoping to duplicate that success in the U.S.
The first single from the newest album is a contemporary remake of the song "Fallin' in Love" written by Don and Ann Hamilton.
Simmons joined Hasselhoff at the record store to help promote the release.
The new series of "Baywatch" went into production on June 14.
It is said to be the world's most-watched television show, airing in 103 countries to a potential audience of two billion people.
A spin-off series, "Baywatch Nights," starring Hasselhoff and recording artist Lou Rawls, is also in production.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th July 1995 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None