FRANCE/VARIOUS: Lenny Kravitz, Mariah Carey hit Red Carpet in Cannes with the cast of "Precious"Record ID: 386181
- Title: FRANCE/VARIOUS: Lenny Kravitz, Mariah Carey hit Red Carpet in Cannes with the cast of "Precious"
- Date: 17th May 2009
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 15, 2009) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CAST INCLUDING KRAVITZ, CAREY, GABOURNEY SIDIBE AND LEE WALKING UP THE STAIRS
- Reuters ID: LVADRXUAHIJ2OV2YUN2004GDPMNV
- Duration: 00:00:47
- Story Text: The cast of award winning drama "Precious" hit the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday (May 15).
Singer, songwriter and producer Lenny Kravitz and pop star Mariah Carey took a break from pop stardom to act in "Precious", having opted for supporting parts in this often grim tale.
"I thought it was a great role to take on. In fact, over a year or so I turned down working in many films, even having leading roles. I didn't feel like I just wanted to be in a movie or be the lead in a movie to do it.
For me, it's just about making the right artistic decision. And I chose to debut with Lee (Daniels). I thought it was a good way to start really low key, pick a small role and start that way" Kravitz told Reuters.
But in fact, the real star of "Precious" which debuted at Sundance, is an unknown actress from Harlem, Gabourney Sidibe, playing an obese and overburdened 16-year-old named "Precious" Jones who is twice impregnated by her father and is beaten by her mother.
Yet, she also has adults who look out for her, and two of those are nurse John, played by Kravitz and welfare case worker, Mrs. Weiss, played by Carey.
"You know, people like to paint Mariah as this glamour darling, besides the fact that she is an amazing, amazing singer. But Mariah knows the street" Kravitz said of his co-star. "In fact, Mariah and I knew each other before we both had record deals. And Mariahâ€¦ you can grow and grow into this other thing that you become, but the roots are there."
"Precious" is based on best-selling novel "Push"
by Sapphire and directed by Lee Daniels who produced "Monster's Ball," which earned Halle Berry a best actress Oscar.
Despite its dark material, the film had Cannes audiences laughing at several comic scenes, revolving around surrealistic dreams Precious creates to escape. In one, she sees herself and her mother transported into a Sophia Loren movie playing on television, where her mom curses at her in Italian.
"Precious" is based on the novel by New York writer Sapphire, whose given name is Ramona Lofton.
The book proved controversial when it hit retail stories in 1996 because of its graphic description of incest, but it also made it to the New York Times Best-seller list.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st June 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.