- Title: VARIOUS: New wax image marks Britney Spears comeback
- Date: 17th February 2009
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FEBRUARY 16, 2009) (REUTERS) WAX FIGURE WITH DANCERS BEHIND THREE DANCERS DANCING TO "WOMANIZER" SPEARS' WAX FIGURE SURROUNDED BY DANCERS
- Reuters ID: LVAD977T695FRCUED11MJWEZMPN
- Duration: 00:00:14
- Topics: Entertainment
- Story Text: From her rise as a teen star to a very public divorce and meltdown, Britney Spears' life has always been under the media glare. Now after more than 10 years in the limelight, the pop princess is slowly making a comeback with a leaner, sassier and more grown up image. And to celebrate this triumph, Madame Tussauds in London unveiled a new wax figure of the star on Monday (February 16).
Spears' new figure sees the blond-haired singer in a figure-hugging silver dress with matching shoes, holding a replica of an MTV award. With a new critically acclaimed album "Circus" under her belt and a world tour on the cards, Spears seems to be on a roll. Madame Tussauds press officer Liz Edwards said the new wax figure marks Britney's transformation from schoolgirl to womanizer.
"Britney Spears is in the middle of a huge comeback and we really wanted to celebrate that new comeback with her new album Circus, with her upcoming tour, and we wanted to do a Britney Spears figure that is truly representative of where she is today," Edwards said.
The new figure replaces an earlier one of the star in mid-dance routine.
"The first figure we did was back in 2001 and it was before Britney was married and a mother. It was part of her "Dream Within a Dream" Tour so it was quite a provocative figure and we really wanted to do a figure now that is truly representative of where she is today. Our guests obviously wanted her to come back to the attraction as Britney Spears of new and we're really excited," Edwards said.
The 27 year-old's fall from grace had been a very public affair, with tabloids lapping up every turn of her meltdown. Her public divorce from ex-husband Kevin Federline and the subsequent custody battle for her sons Sean Preston and Jayden James saw Spears frequently behaving erratically in public, including shaving her head bald at one point.
The Grammy winner, who is famous for hits such as "Baby One More Time" and "Oops I did it again", is ranked 14th in the top 20 female singers in the world according to Forbes last year -- with an estimated income of 8 million U.S. dollars.
Besides the wax figure, Madame Tussauds is also running a Britney Spears dance chain, where fans can strut their stuff to the singers songs on camera at the attraction.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th March 2009 12:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.