USA: "Adoration" examines the dark relationship between technology, humanity and terrorismRecord ID: 386236
- Title: USA: "Adoration" examines the dark relationship between technology, humanity and terrorism
- Date: 29th April 2009
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA (APRIL 27, 2009) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR SCOTT SPEEDMAN SAYING: "Its a family story and a drama more than anything. There are all these issues that come up but especially for my character I just looked at it as my relationship with the boy and my family and where I come from and the abuses I suffered at in trying to save this boy in going through the same thing."
- Reuters ID: LVA3PYS80TC3NT7Z55O36AORZV0S
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Story Text: The movie, 'Adoration' looks at technology and its impact on human relationships.
The film 'Adoration' juxtaposes human connections with the advent of technology and examines its complex relationship. Directed by Atom Egoyan, the movie stars Scott Speedman and Rachel Blanchard, and new comer Devon Bostick.
The movie's plot centers on a teenager, Simon, played by Bostick, who lives with his uncle (Scott Speedman). The father crashes his family car, killing both himself and his wife, making Simon into an orphan. Years later, Simon re-imagines that a news item about a terrorist plot he is asked to study in school, is his own family's story with the terrorist standing in for his father.
Assuming a false identity which allows him to probe his family secret, he creates a situation where the results spiral out of control, Newcomer Devon Bostick plays Simon in the film.
Said Bostick, "One of them was that I got to preach to these people on the Internet. These giant monologues that bring up a lot of ideas about terrorism and my family and how people think abou those subjects. The main thing is how dark he got to get during the story. He has this false identity."
Director Atom Egoyan, who has long been interested in the concept of communication and the role of technology, talks about the message of the movie.
Said Egoyan, "We have an incredible ability to be in touch with each other all the time. There is [are] worlds we have access to that we could not have dreamt of before. But we still have to exist in a physical space. We still have to have physical relationships with people and that ultimately determines what we become. The Internet and these technologies gives us access to whole different worlds but they can't really be as substantial as our journey in the physical world."
Actor Scott Speedman, who stars alongside Bostick as his uncle and mentor, discusses the human aspect of the film.
Said Speedman, "Its a family story and a drama more than anything.
There are all these issues that come up but especially for my character I just looked at it as my relationship with the boy and my family and where I come from and the abuses I suffered at in trying to save this boy in going through the same thing."
The movie "Adoration" opens in theaters across the U.S. in early May.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:14th May 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None