- Title: USA: Dano and Deschanel star in the romance film Gigantic
- Date: 14th April 2009
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK UNITED STATES (RECENT) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR MATT ASLETON SAYING "It's like it's a little disconcerting, it's a little confusing at times and it helps to say is that what I think it is, yes it is. So there is some discussion and I really like watching the movie with audiences."
- Reuters ID: LVA1F2R4GWCASTYXQ889DS8RAT6P
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:14
- Story Text: "Gigantic" hits it big in the quirky indie romance genre.
The film recently took the top prize at the AFI film festival.
Paul Dano plays Brian Weathersby, a luxury mattress salesman living in New York City who has one goal in life: to adopt a Chinese baby.
While Brian searches for his place in the world, he gets swept up in a romance with a girl named Happy, whom he meets when she comes into his store and falls asleep on one of his beds.
Upon reading the script, Dano says "I immediately liked it and had this feeling of excitement and terror, which is a nice thing to get from a piece of writing."
"I loved all the characters, I thought it was very funny but had a real soul to it - really, I just got an immediate impression of Brian,"
As their relationship slowly blossoms, winning Happy over proves challenging. Brian must compete with her father Al Lolly, an art collector and generally overbearing loudmouth.
Writer/director Matt Asleton says Deschanel and Dano were a perfect pair. The two had great on-screen chemistry and Dano says, the "vibrant" actress pleasantly surprised him.
" I found her very easy to work with and I mean that as a great compliment because she didn't feel actressy or vein she was just very alive and present, we had a good time."
So, if you're in the mood for a dose of sweet oddball romance, "Gigantic" is now playing in North American theaters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th April 2009 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None