- Title: USA: A VISIT TO THE SET OF 'SPEED 2'
- Date: 30th April 1996
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (RECENT) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) JAN DE BONT (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING YES, WE BUILT A TOWN. THE REASON WE HAD TO BUILD IT IS BECAUSE WE HAD TO DESTROY IT. THERE'S NOT THAT MANY CITIES AVAILABLE, OKAY, WE'RE HERE, DESTROY MY CITY, YOU'RE WELCOME SANDRA BULLOCK (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING WELCOME TO HOLLYWOOD. THEY BUILT THIS BEAUTIFUL TOWN AND IT'S NO LONGER THERE
- Reuters ID: LVACRI35OOL37OFDOUH6CCN12GO9
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES AND FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Story Text: Sandra Bullock is back, this time without Keanu Reeves,in the sequel to the hit action thriller "Speed." She's just wrapped up principal photography on this summer's potential blockbuster, "Speed 2: Cruise Control." Bullock plays Annie, the same character as in the first film.
After getting off the runaway bus that was the real star of "Speed," she is off on a Caribbean vacation with her new boyfriend Alex, played by Jason Patric.
But this is Hollywood, so the two aren't allowed any time for rest and relaxation. While on holiday, they are caught in the middle of a takeover of an exclusive superliner cruise ship, sending them and hundreds of passengers hurtling out of control.
Willem Dafoe plays the charismatic computer mastermind who orchestrates the ship's takeover. He takes over the bad guy role from Dennis Hopper, who played the memorable villain in the first film.
Once again, Dutch filmmaker Jan De Bont is in the director's chair. After scoring a big hit with the first "Speed," he went on to helm last summer's blockbuster "Twister." De Bont promises "Speed 2" will be his biggest and most action-packed film to date.
Reuters had a sneak preview of the film's production when 20th Century Fox opened the film's set on a soundstage in Los Angeles to the media.
On that day, Bullock, Patric and Dafoe were flying in a simulated seaplane suspended thirty feet above the soundstage floor. The scene comes near the end of the film, when Dafoe is trying to escape with Bullock as his hostage.
It's up to Patric to climb up onto the plane and rescue her.
The rest of this scene, along with a good deal of the rest of the film, was shot on location in the Caribbean. The production team actually constructed an entire island village in St. Martin.
This was necessary because the script called for the entire village to be destroyed in an explosion and the crew obviously couldn't get the agreement of any existing village to allow this to happen in their backyard.
"Speed 2: Cruise Control" hits American movie theatres in June.
It is due for release in Britain in August.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th May 1996 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None