UNITED KINGDOM: BAZ LUHRMANN'S ADAPTATION OF 'ROMEO AND JULIET' PREMIERES IN LONDONRecord ID: 386906
- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: BAZ LUHRMANN'S ADAPTATION OF 'ROMEO AND JULIET' PREMIERES IN LONDON
- Date: 26th March 1997
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MARCH 26, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) EXTERIOR OF THEATRE/ CURZON MAYFAIR CINEMA FANS LINED UP ON BARRICADE POSTERS FROM FILM MODEL SOPHIE DAHL ARRIVING PHOTOGRAPHERS SUPERMODEL KAREN MULDER ARRIVING ROCK BAND PRODIGY ARRVING ROBBIE WILLIAMS, FORMERLY OF TAKE THAT, ARRIVING ROCK STAR BJORK ARRIVING, WALKING INTO CINEMA BRITISH SOUL SINGER D'SREE (WHO SINGS IN THE FILM) ARRIVING DIRECTOR TERRY GILLIAM ARRIVING CHRISTIAN SLATER WALKS INTO CINEMA CLAIRE DANES (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING THERE WAS NOTHING THAT WOULDN'T HAVE MADE ME TAKE IT ON. IT WAS AN UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE. I WAS IN FANTASTIC COMPANY. IT WAS JUST A JOY TO PLAY. I WAS JUST THRILLED DIRECTOR BAZ LURHMANN ANSWERING QUESTION WHAT MADE YOU TAKE ON THE BARD, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING WE STARTED WITH THIS IDEA THAT IF SHAKESPEARE WAS MAKING A MOVIE, WHAT KIND OF MOVIE WOULD HE MAKE AND WE SPENT A YEAR RESEARCHING. SHAKESPEARE WAS DEALING WITH AN AUDIENCE OF 3000 DRUNKS, BEAR-BAITING AND PROSTITUTION, NOT UNLIKE OUR AUDIENCE TONIGHT. IT'S ABOUT CONNECTING THE STORY TELLING TO THE AUDIENCE
- Reuters ID: LVADSKD2605CDKL6UYQF4W2W1GW6
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:02:07
- Story Text: Four hundred years after Shakespeare penned his famous tragedy, Romeo and Juliet hits the big screen -- again -- in a new film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes as the young lovers.
Australian director Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of the story of arguably the world's most famous lovers premiered at London's Curzon Cinema in Mayfair on Wednesday (March 26).
Both stars and Lurhmann were in London for the celebrity premiere, along with rock stars and international models.
Among the music business celebrities were rock band Prodigy, Robbie Williams, D'sree (who sings in the film) and Icelandic star Bjork.
Director Terry Gilliam also joined the throng for the Bard's latest London airing.
In Lurhmann's adaptation, the film is set in "a created world" of modern and classic images.
He brings the greatest love story ever told to life in modern day Miami, a city ripe with attitude, passion and vengeance.
Gangs rule the streets and citizens either thrive or barely survive in the raw environment.
Set against this backdrop, Lurhmann creates what's been described as a visually stunning rendition of Shakespeare's classic.
The film opens across Britain on Friday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None