UNITED KINGDOM: BAZ LUHRMANN'S ADAPTATION OF 'ROMEO AND JULIET' PREMIERES IN LONDONRecord ID: 386907
- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: BAZ LUHRMANN'S ADAPTATION OF 'ROMEO AND JULIET' PREMIERES IN LONDON
- Date: 26th March 1997
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MARCH 26, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) ( ** BEWARE FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **) LURHMANN (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I MAINTAIN IN A WAY WE'VE TAKEN IT BACK TO THE ELIZABETHAN PERIOD, MOST PEOPLE'S IDEA OF SHAKESPEARE IS A 19TH CENTURY CONCEPT...HE HAD EVERYONE FROM PEOPLE ON THE STREET TO THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND IN HIS AUDIENCE LURHMAN ANSWERING QUESTION DO YOU THINK HE'D (SHAKESPEARE) LIKE IT, (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING I THINK HE'D BE INCREDIBLY HAPPY THAT HE BEAT SYLVESTER STALLONE AT THE BOX OFFICE, YES PEOPLE IN FOYER PETE POSTLEWAITE WITH LURHMANN CLAIRE DANES AND LEONARDO DICAPRIO IN PHOTO CALL PHOTOGRAPHERS DICAPRIO (SOUNDBITE ENGLISH) SAYING IT'S BROUGHT SHAKESPEARE TO A NEW GENERATION, IT WASN'T MY INTENTION BUT IT'S INSPIRING
- Reuters ID: LVAEJUMXZQ121VLQCVMKEEBMSSW4
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:29
- Story Text: Four hundred years after Shakespeare penned his famous tragedy, Romeo and Juliet hits the big screen -- again -- in a new film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes as the young lovers.
Australian director Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of the story of arguably the world's most famous lovers premiered at London's Curzon Cinema in Mayfair on Wednesday (March 26).
Both stars and Lurhmann were in London for the celebrity premiere, along with rock stars and international models.
Among the music business celebrities were rock band Prodigy, Robbie Williams, D'sree (who sings in the film) and Icelandic star Bjork.
Director Terry Gilliam also joined the throng for the Bard's latest London airing.
In Lurhmann's adaptation, the film is set in "a created world" of modern and classic images.
He brings the greatest love story ever told to life in modern day Miami, a city ripe with attitude, passion and vengeance.
Gangs rule the streets and citizens either thrive or barely survive in the raw environment.
Set against this backdrop, Lurhmann creates what's been described as a visually stunning rendition of Shakespeare's classic.
The film opens across Britain on Friday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:10th April 1997 13:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None